TechSpot

Network Hub Suggestions ???

By taimuraly
Oct 12, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello to all, I have got 3 PCs at home and am now planning to get DSL. Usually I connect only 2 PCs at a time (which is really annoying) but now I have a pretty good reason to send some bucks and buy a Network Hub. So I was wondering if you people have any suggestion for me. I would really go for any company but do prefer Linksys - cause most of all the shows (Call for Help on TECH TV) use it. Thanks and looking forward for your replies.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,406   +314

not a hub or switch; you need a router.
    Lots of advantages, including hiding all the systems from the public Internet.
    It's a layered approach to security and configuration management.
    I have a 4-port Netgear, linksys and Belkin make them too.
    If you get to more than four systems, THEN get a switch and you will be able to
    run up to 7 systems or devices.
  3. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

get 8 port router linksys stick with basic unit
    that way you can add print server
    get fancey look for VOIP add phone to router
    and talk with pc send fax's
  4. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 348

I would go for a 4 ports router and then an addition 8 port switch.

Its probably cheaper and more flexible.
  5. taimuraly

taimuraly TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 116

How abou these ???

I checked on the offical Linksys site and there were 3 which I foubd good enough. But dont know if they allow printer sharing and all the other fancy stuff. The model numbers are :-

1. Model No. BEFSR41
    EtherFast Cable/DSL Routerwith 4-Port Switch

2. Model Number: BEFSX41
    Instant Broadband EtherFast Cable/DSL Firewall Routerwith 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint

3. Model No. BEFSRU31
    EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with USB and 3-Port 10/100 Switch

Please tell me which one among these is the best and if none, then please give reasons why and a suggestion. Thanx to all who have posted a reply.
    (I basically need a hub or router for sharing my DSL connection, sharing files and for playing games - CS, Generals, and etc. Printer sharing isnt a bad idea either. I've got 2 pcs and 1 laptop)
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,406   +314

The file/print sharing are optional configurations YOU setup on the computers connected.
    ANY router will do :giddy:
    Choose by any criteria that's important to you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.