Network Hub Suggestions ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

taimuraly

Hello to all, I have got 3 PCs at home and am now planning to get DSL. Usually I connect only 2 PCs at a time (which is really annoying) but now I have a pretty good reason to send some bucks and buy a Network Hub. So I was wondering if you people have any suggestion for me. I would really go for any company but do prefer Linksys - cause most of all the shows (Call for Help on TECH TV) use it. Thanks and looking forward for your replies.

not a hub or switch; you need a router.
Lots of advantages, including hiding all the systems from the public Internet.
It's a layered approach to security and configuration management.
I have a 4-port Netgear, linksys and Belkin make them too.
If you get to more than four systems, THEN get a switch and you will be able to
run up to 7 systems or devices.

get 8 port router linksys stick with basic unit
that way you can add print server
get fancey look for VOIP add phone to router
and talk with pc send fax's

I would go for a 4 ports router and then an addition 8 port switch.

Its probably cheaper and more flexible.

How abou these ???

I checked on the offical Linksys site and there were 3 which I foubd good enough. But dont know if they allow printer sharing and all the other fancy stuff. The model numbers are :-

1. Model No. BEFSR41
EtherFast Cable/DSL Routerwith 4-Port Switch

2. Model Number: BEFSX41
Instant Broadband EtherFast Cable/DSL Firewall Routerwith 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint

3. Model No. BEFSRU31
EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with USB and 3-Port 10/100 Switch

Please tell me which one among these is the best and if none, then please give reasons why and a suggestion. Thanx to all who have posted a reply.
(I basically need a hub or router for sharing my DSL connection, sharing files and for playing games - CS, Generals, and etc. Printer sharing isnt a bad idea either. I've got 2 pcs and 1 laptop)

taimuraly said:
I checked on the offical Linksys site and there were 3 which I foubd good enough. But dont know if they allow printer sharing and all the other fancy stuff.
The file/print sharing are optional configurations YOU setup on the computers connected.
ANY router will do :giddy:
Choose by any criteria that's important to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back