Network Identification Wizard Disabled?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running XP pro with SP2 and I am unable to change the name of my workgroup or join a domain by using the Network Identification wizard. Going to the Name Change screen is no help either. I have included screenshots of the problem

Attachments

• computer name.JPG
    computer name.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 20
  • namechange.JPG
    namechange.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 18
I guess the first question to ask is do you have an active network connection.

of you right click my network places and go to properties do you have anything there?

what protocals are installed. is tcp/ip installed

try going into add/remove programs > add remove windows components> then scroll down and uncheck Networking services and proceed to uninstall them.

then go right back in and reinstall them then reboot the box.

see if that resolves your problem.. (NOTE: you may need your windows cd when reinstalling windows networking.)

I do have an active LAN connection, and I did the uninstall-reinstall of the networking services, and it didn't help. I have included a screenshot of the general properities of my LAN.

Attachments

• connectionprops.JPG
    connectionprops.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 19
try uninstalling any advanced networking suite software. probably came as an update from M$. supposed to support IPV6.

I would kill that and try again..

also you may want to uninstall sp2 and see what happens.

ok uninstalling sp2 didn't help, but i did find out more about the problem. I am missing the workstation service in my Windows Xp, and by not having this running I am not able to network my computer. Does anyone know of anyway of replacing the service?

Creating the Service

I've been encountering the same issue with a reformatted PC for the last couple days.

Picking up the ideas here, I compared the "Workstation" service on another successfully connected network PC. I found the details as follows.

c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

I searched for assistance as well then for instructions how to create this service.

How to Create a Service for WinXP Pro

This details the use of the SC.EXE application through the command prompt.

sc.exe "Name" binPath= "Program"

(include the quotes in the statement)

Name = Workstation
Program = c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Once you exit the command prompt you can return to the regular Services manager and set it to "Automatic" at start-up and restart the PC.

That's where I'm at now. Going to try it out.

Good luck!

Peace,
Joseph

This is a Microsoft Client option. If "Client for Microsoft Network" is uninstalled, or corrupted or wrong version, your "Network ID" button will e disabled. Go to LAN->Properties->uninstall Client for Microsoft Network , restart and then install it from the same place. It will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back