Network/internet problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

zag1402

hi, the story is...... had a bad virus on my main computer due to antivirus rnning out. Managed to get rid of the virus, but, now I have a problem that it connects to the internet, I can receive e-mail, but, it will not log me on to the internet. I did system restore, windows repair, still no luck. Can someone help?

By "log you into the internet" do you just mean you can't use an internet browser such as Internet Explorer or Mozzila Firefox? Because you are recieveing e-mails you are actually connected to the internet.. If you are having problems browsing try this:

Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings, take off the checkmark for "Use a Proxy server for your LAN...."

also, test your browser, go to google.ca(or .com) and just type something, click a few links and make sure you are not being redirected.. If you are, post back. Otherwise post if your problem has been fixed, thanks.

thanks

Hi Computerman55 just to let you know I tried the Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings, take off the checkmark for "Use a Proxy server for your LAN...."
and it has done the trick.
Thanks for your help! do you have any idea why it changed the proxy server????

It's a classic trick that virus's use to disable your use to go on the internet. Without a proper proxy server set up, it's set to a "blank" one. It has no where to actually go through and be checked, no signal is sent back giving you no page to load.

Virus's do it so you can't go get anti-malware and anti-virus programs to get rid of them.. There are more indepth things like changing the hosts file so when you go to a certain site it redirects you to other sites (possibly more virus's or just annoying websites)

But since you know you already had virus's I suggest going to the Virus removal part of the forum, doing the 8-steps that are there, post your logs and get a professional to help you make sure your computer is clean and good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back