Network/internet setup between my house and the guest house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raffizzz

Hey guys, I need help modifying my network/internet setup at my house and guesthouse. This is how my current setup looks like. Main house has the DSL(dynamic IP) modem, connected to a Netgear WGR614 wireless G router(DHCP) 1 laptop connects via wireless to that, and a cat 5 wire going from one of the ports to the guesthouse bedroom in wall plug, and connected to it is a Dlink Dir-625 wireless n router. I have 2 computers connected to the router wirelessly. With this setup my Internet connection is inconsistent in the guesthouse. And recently I bought a Denon AVR-3808 Audio receiver in the living room that needs to be connected to the internet via Ethernet wire., and I don’t have access to that. Let me give you more info on the Distance between the farthest point of the guesthouse, and the position of the modem and wireless router is in the main house. It’s about 60-75ft, 5 walls in between, and 2 of the walls would be the outside stucco walls…… I need suggestions on how to do this the right way. My Denon audio receiver is the only equipment that need to connect to the Internet via Ethernet cable, and I don’t have access to that……

Thank you in advance
Raffi.

First off, get stability from Main to Guest by using wired access. If this is not stable,
then the wireless will not be either. Update the Netgear WGR614 firmware.

Wireless will bog down when it is encrypted, but you need that to avoid your neighbors
from getting access to your systems.

Which location (Main/Guest) has the worse reliability issue?

Hey jobeard,

from the main house to the guest house my connection is wired (cat5) thru Netgear WGR614 lan port that goes out to the guesthouse bedroom in wall plug, and Dlink dir-625 is connected to it, and the guest house cpu connec to the Dlink router.

the guesthouse has the worst reliabitliy...... I don't know maybe I should get a switch and connect it to the modem first instead of the netgear router?????

Thanks

no, the modem must go to a router before everything else.

running a switch in the guest house in place of the wireless would be great reliability
at the mess of extra wires, but it would be effective.

update the firmware of the Dir-625 AND the wireless drivers for all systems using
wireless connections.

again, drop the encryption until you can get stability and then add it back.
1- move the wireless to channel #11
2- do not use 2.4ghz cordless phones in the guest house -- go to 5.4 or 9ghz
3- get a copy of Network Stumbler to monitor wireless signals in your neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back