Network Issue.. Sound causes slow NET performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
STILL NEED HELP...

hello,
VISTA VISTA F'EN VISTA!!
I am tring to copy many large files over my gigabit network

when I am playing music with winamp or WMP and even just a windows sound plays... network file copy goes from 35-40MB/SEC down to just 7MB/Sec after the sound stops, the file goesto 0MB/sec for 4 seconds then resumes at full speed..

I have tried play the music with both my onboard azella audio chip & my Creative X-FI.. they both cause slow net performance..

anyone have a solution to this...
i tried many things to setting the NIC settings to different buffers etc..

I always tried the NETSH command to disable the auto tuning!

I just updated my drivers for all hardware.. and Have still have the issues...

My old XP experence was smooth as silk..
VISTA SUCK BADLY

Check your computer or motherboard manufacturer website for relevant downloads for VISTA installs, such as BIOS, Chipset, and other relevant drivers. Some new drivers are not as good as older onces sometimes, so go both ways.

I just installed the latest bios.. and tried a set of different drivers...
same problem
does anyone else have this issue or only me?

Testing the BIOS and changing the drivers is just the first step, assuming you removed the old drivers when you installed different ones... and that you also replaced the audio drivers.
The issue is very common. The causes vary a great deal from computer to computer... as so many defective components, and infestations, can cause it.
You will certainly here from other forum members today.
Very often with "large files" the cause is linked to your internet provider and limitations on large files.
I would now remove all relevant software, run Windows from a cold boot in repair mode, then reboot and install the software once more. That should assure it is not a Windows error.

A next step for me would be to run the very latest edition of HiJackThis, and have the experts on this forum give them a look.

i still need help

hello,

I have seen this problem replicate itself among many vista boxes!

on a lan connection over 100MB send a large file.. monitor the speed with taskmanager... then startup an audio file and allot it to play...

WATCH THE SPEED DROP!

okay... anyone... anyone.. how to fix.. THIS IS A VISTA BUG not my PC or me!

It's VISTA Crappy Vista! HELP! why is there not a patch for this yet?

ohhh I have 5 PC's with 1 GB connection.. every machine does it!
and my friend is reporting the same problem too!

Generally it is adjusting to the upload speed of your cable or dsl connection which can be as low as 368 kbps vs download speeds of 1.5 mbps to 13 mbps... Depends on the provider of course, but have them check your speed from their test central. The low upload speed on low price connections is stunning some times.
We have not seen any problems with the 200+ VISTA machines we have out... mostly VISTA Premium, except those with low priced connections

what?

this problem is not internet related!!!

I am speaking of MB/sec not Mb!

my system transfers 33-40Megabytes per second!
while music is playing the transfers slow down to 7MB/sec.

the only thing I can think of is lowering task priority of WinAMP, but it would
have to be set manually every time :(

the audio interrupts are stealing cycles from the network driver.

Let me get this? You're transfering songs from one PC to another and at the sametime you're listening to music? Correct or no?

I think you don't have something changed on these systems. As most OS from Microsoft have limited Network, LAN, LANWorkstation, TCP, DNSCache. Threads all set to min or default settings.

1. Have you Optimized your TCP/UDP for your LAN not the WAN?
2. Have you turned on the Onboard Processor feature of your NIC?
3. How do you have your NIC setup? Auto? 10/100/1000 Full/Half?
4. How you using CAT 6 Ehternet Cables?
5. You should be able to stream Audio and Video smoothly if the above is done on your systems. Each system would have to be the same.

There is some bottleneck going on somewhere.. Stream audio and video everyday from the PC to TV or just from PC to PC around the house or where I store my media files at.. I don't have any problems. The problems use to come from the fact that again Microsoft has enhancements tune down.

Same problem here anything that plays audio cause the network to
go from ~950 Mbit to ~115 Mbit

winamp
mediaplayer
mediacenter

both my vista machines do this
Gigabyte p35-ds3r
Intel XBX2

totaly different hardware

it IS vista, under xp same machines net preformance only drops to 875 Mbit while playing audio, there is no fix yet

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=83112

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back