Network Just gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimesy69

i turned on my pc's this morning that are connected by 2 nic's and a crossover cable, all had been working fine accept for when i turned them on this morning both pc's say that the network cable is unplugged, ive checked the cable over and over, and also opened up both machines and both cards are slotted in properly, ive also checked the settings and they both are the same as before. im just wondering that i might have some sort of virus,spyware that is stopping the connection. :mad: i could post a hijackthis llog if anyone thinks its necessary.

hope you can help :cool:

Grimesy. :)

perform a loopback test -- from command line ping 127.0.0.1 this will let you know if its a problem with the NIC's or not

pinged on both computers and both results are good o% data loss, but they just wont talk to each other. the pc's just say network cable unplugged puke: :evil:

if the loopback test was performed alright the next step would be to look at the cable..if the NIC's are both ok it must be the cable..be very unlikely the OS would give you an error like that if all hardware concerned was ok.

windows would say "path not found".. Did you try another crossover??

the light doesnt flash on the back of my nic to indicate activity but does on client pc? this mean the actual connection on the nic is damaged because the otherday i did trip on my network cable and it pulled real tight and mved my pc alot. but if it wasnt working tat means the loopback wouldnt work? or does the loopback only test the card itself not the port on the back of card.

loopbaack test will only test the board....i would say the port is damaged... you'll need a new NIC...you should go wireless if your gonna change your NIC its much easier and not that expensive..no wires to trip on for one..easier expansion ...mobility..the advantages are huge..once you get your security sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back