Network Media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

40 oz.

Does changing your network media for your NIC from auto sense to say 10basetx actually increase speed? The guy, I think his name is lobo, over at speedguide.net insists on changing the network media to 10basetx over anything else for a speed increase. Just want to know your thoughts on this.

One more thing, what's the difference between full duplex and half duplex?

NIC: Netgear FA311

Well, the half duplex and full duplex is an easy one. Ful duplex means that you can send and receive a signal(ie voice)at the same time, whereas half duplex the send and receive have to take turns.

Im not sure about your other question..Sorry.

I think I heard that the reason you'd want to set it to 10basetx is because of the possibility of faulty drivers, which would need to autosense your media type causing a delay in your connection. I've seen the tech for DAOC recommend this, but some folks at Wxperience.com say autosensing is faster. So I suggest you do a bench at say dslcheck.speakeasy.net w/ autosense on than do another one w/ 10basetx. Make sure you clear your cache after each test to get an accurate reading. Other strange reasons I've come across were the NIC driver detecting the wrong media type, your hub/router/switch needs autosensing to work properly, and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back