Network Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassy

I have a classroom with 24 standalone boxes and for a year end project I'm having students network the room for file/print sharing. No problem, we have all the boxes communicating with one another. My question is, I would like to access student folders (w2k) from my workstation(XP-P) but I can only do it if someone is logged into the computer. Is there any way to access files without someone being logged in? Or in other words, how do you get a computer to be recognized in a workgroup that nobody is logged into? I hope this makes sense.

No idea why someone has to be logged in.

Make sure the folders are set up as network shares and you have access writes.

If you don't have a domain controller, you will need to set an account up for yourself on the computers and make sure under permissions that you give that account access to the folder.

should maybe look at how you set up admin rights
you should be admin on all the box's students should be users with certain privileges.
as I see it you now have to go to each machine and reset ownership
after you take ownership with master logon you can view there folders
or are you meaning to remote boot client pc?

Sorry for the confussion - I understand the sharing thing, the problem is that the students' computers do not show up in the workgroup unless one of the students or myself (as administrator) is logged on. It's like they don't connect to the network until someone logs on. When I get there in the morning, I would like to boot up the students' computers without logging on - go to my workstation, logon and have access to their files. Right now I have to boot em up and logon to each computer before having access. Does this make sense? Or am I doing something totally wrong?

Something seems odd.

Did you use the standard Microsoft filesharing for your filesharing?

I can access my shared folders on my other computers without someone being signed on.

Do you use any firewalls or anything like that?

Are the students drives that you are trying to access mapped to a network drive or anything like that?

Please tell us if the students pc's (log on)
setup as administrators
here's one trick i have found that saves a lot of config time
setup all machines with the same admin and password
now add your students user groups with lower permissions
like changing ther passwords and such
make sure admin password is set to never expire
If running xp you don't have netbui ,but if you need this it can be added
I find this very interesting ,as I do a lot of networking systems (no XP)
and have not seen this problem

with that kind of setup everything should go to a fileserver that you would have full access to and the kids are limited to what they can do on thier computers also i agree make sure that you have administrator privelages or you will also be limited to what you can do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back