Network Printer slow to receive job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a LJ 4550 DN on our network. Recently the time frame from sending the job to it starting on the printer has increased. It is now at 58 seconds. It used to be rather quick at under 10 sec. I pinged the printer getting 3ms reply and the server it is on at 1ms reply. Anyone have an idea as to why it is delaying the job?
Could it just be the server processing the job?

There's only a few things I can think.

The first one being power save mode. If the printer is set to never enter power save mode, then it will be quick to print. Otherwise it has to "warm up" after each job which can take a good 20+ seconds on a lot of laser printers out there.

The second thing I can think of are huge documents and images will take longer. So if you're printing habits have changed from printing 1 page documents to documents with graphics and several pages, spooling takes longer.

And the last thing I can think of is if there is heavy print traffic and a large number of queues, upgrading the memory in your printer may help you a bit.

Try setting the DPI setting lower in the printer properties to reduce the size of bitmaps sent to the printer. Also, try switching drivers (between PS and PCL for example).

And of course, how about resetting the computer and power cycling the printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back