Network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

safesha

i have motorla cable modem.. from that i am connecting to my desktop for net. i have one ibm thinkpad too ,i cant able to use net on thinkpad after i disconnect frm desktop ..its showing limited connectivty .. when i try to repair it showing administrator can only make it .
(i can use net on laptop after 5 hours from disconnect (desktop).)..

'Limited connectivity' of course means that you don't have internet connection. Did you go to control panel...then 'internet connections' to see what it says? I would think that your ethernet connection is not set up right. Have you connected your laptop to the internet ever? I believe that your laptop internet connection device drivers are not installed, or have gotten corrupted. If you go to device manager and locate 'internet connection hardware' get to 'properties' and read the information.

pdyck:
i can use net on laptop after 5 hours from disconnect (desktop)

safesha:
Many cable providers register the MAC address of the computer that is connected to the cable modem. Try restarting the modem after you have connected the other computer to force a re-registration. You can also set the MAC addresses on your laptop and desktop to be one and the same.

Have you considered buying a router, so you can have internet access on both computers at the same time?

pdyckman@comcas said:
'Limited connectivity' of course means that you don't have internet connection. Did you go to control panel...then 'internet connections' to see what it says? I would think that your ethernet connection is not set up right. Have you connected your laptop to the internet ever? I believe that your laptop internet connection device drivers are not installed, or have gotten corrupted. If you go to device manager and locate 'internet connection hardware' get to 'properties' and read the information.
i can able to connect my laptop to net.. no probelm.. only problem is i cant able to connect laptop after desktop use.. the same reverse to .. if i used laptop after disconnection i cant use desktop(net)..

Nodsu said:
pdyck:

safesha:
Many cable providers register the MAC address of the computer that is connected to the cable modem. Try restarting the modem after you have connected the other computer to force a re-registration. You can also set the MAC addresses on your laptop and desktop to be one and the same.

Have you considered buying a router, so you can have internet access on both computers at the same time?
i have 5 port switch .. is that enough?..

No, a switch will not do.

Did you try resetting the modem after disconnecting one computer and connecting the other?

Nodsu said:
No, a switch will not do.

Did you try resetting the modem after disconnecting one computer and connecting the other?
no.. not tried to reset modem... hw can i reset modem?,, i only know to restart modem ,that i did

safesha said:
i have 5 port switch .. is that enough?..
now i understand.. ok which type router?.. which is less cost & more port router?. less cost and more option router.

also one question- can i use net on both with using two lancards on desktop?. my thinking like this firstly output frm cable modem wil enter to desktop {lan card1}and after ip configration that wil out by lan {lan card2} to my lapktop or to the 5 port switch.. is it possible solution?

instead of a serial network
modem---sysA--sysB
which requires all systems to be active,
get a router and let each system run independently
modem---router -- systems A, B, C, D, ...​
you will be mush happier with the results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back