Network Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodRaven

hey when i go t lan parties im always warried about people being stupid and seearching thru my files and ive seen that there is a way to put a password on your computer to make it so you have to put the pw in to get into the computer thru another computer but the only thing i know how to do is make my folder shared or not. please help?

Yes. Disable the guest account in Start / Run / Control panel / Adminstrative Tools / Computer Management / Local Users and Groups / Users /

Right click on "Guest" and disable.

Whenever you attempt to access your files remotely using a Windows 2000 or XP computer, you will be prompted for a user name and password. I have an administrator account setup just so I can login with a unique name and password, but any account will do.

Of course, if you have XP home, doing this may be more complicated. This information applies to XP Pro only.

yeah but isnt the built in fire wall that winxp offers good enough? because thats what im using, and i also have like 4 differnet cds with different firewalls, i just dont like them because it limits a lot of stuff you can do anc i hate trying to figure out how to adjust the settings on it.

The one built into WinXP is actually decent - just not highly configurable. If it has all the capabilities you need then by all means you should use it. Just don't expect any port triggering or any fancy configuration options from it. It does it's job - block incoming traffic and allows you to poke your own holes in the firewall by specifying a specific port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back