network setup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

icantwinn

ok i have a 3mb adsl connection. i have one desktop and a laptop that i want to network together. i went thru the setup on the desktop and got everything setup then when it asked if i wanted to create a disk i did, so i could load it to the laptop.

heres the problem when i made the disk the only option it gave me was to make it on a floppy, and the laptop doesnt have a floppy drive. so i tried to manually setup the network on the laptop using the exact names and settings that i used on the desktop. and all went well then i try'd connecting to the network, and on the both computers it said there wasnt an internet connection. so i couldnt see the laptop on my desktop and i couldnt see my desktop on the laptop. obviously i did something wrong and havent a clue what i did because ive never setup networks before. any help would be greatful.

thanks in advance.

if you have xp on both machines you don't need to make a disc.
that is only for xp on a network with other OS's
if the laptop can access the internet and it is not XP you can downld the client software from microsoft

they are both running xp. the disk isnt really my problem. my problem is that after i went thru the setup wizard on both the desktop and laptop using the same names and settings neither of them will connect to the network.

Did you make the same selections on the both computers when running the wizard?

The Wizard is evil anyway. Google for a manual setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back