Network Status, peer -to- peer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer Timpson

network status

Installed my n/w last night with 2 nic cards & crossover cable- my pc, win98se/56k modem - other win98. Had a few teething problems, but can now share printer, files, internet etc.

Used Int.Connec.Sharing within SEand I can see the modem status flashing on my task bar, and have the 98se network status icon beside it.

However, the upstairs pc has no way of "seeing" the online status or of closing the connection (ie the option to disconnect dialogue box).
How do I improve the situation

TIA

Brian

I think your second pc just think of itself as on a local LAN, to that effect it doesn't know at all you are using 56k on the other computer to dial out.

THe best I can think of is either run down stairs and hit disconnect, or run a remote control program and view your server PC desktop over the LAN (put all those bandwidth to good use) and then control it from upstairs.

Thanks Mac
I'll try for some software.
It's not critical - more annoying that you don't have
the comforting "flashing" icons to show your status!!
Brian

Originally posted by Homer Timpson
Thanks Mac
I'll try for some software.
It's not critical - more annoying that you don't have
the comforting "flashing" icons to show your status!!
Brian

Mac is correct... For all your upstairs pc knows, it's on a permanent LAN connection...

As for the disconnect... Why not set the connection to disconnect after idle 10 min? That'll save you running downstairs to disconnect everytime you've been on the net...

.02$

Thanks MrGaribaldi,
My wife will just have to live with it - she's on the upstairs 98pc!! The local ISP has a 4 minute "idle" cut off and a 2 hour max - so there is that route to fall back on.
Thanks again for ther reply
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back