Network Via Crossover cable??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im having a problem connecting 2 PCs via a crossover cable. They both show in the taskbar that they are connected however they do not appear in each others Workgroup Computers even though they are under the same Workgroup name (MSHOME)

I enabled File Sharing and still nothing. I did notice that on one of the PCs there are 0 packets recieved and the other is recieving fine?

Any suggestions welcome Im having a hard time with this!!

Why don't you just go with a router and connect both computers independantly to the Internet and then each other. This is much easier and faster than using a crossover cable...

Do you have firewall's enabled on the 2 systems? Try turning off the firewalls and see if the 2 systems communicate

volume3k said:
Im having a problem connecting 2 PCs via a crossover cable. They both show in the taskbar that they are connected however they do not appear in each others Workgroup Computers even though they are under the same Workgroup name (MSHOME)

I enabled File Sharing and still nothing. I did notice that on one of the PCs there are 0 packets recieved and the other is recieving fine?

Any suggestions welcome Im having a hard time with this!!

This might sound silly, but have you assigned static IP address? Between the two computers, there is no router or DHCP server, so their network information (IP address, subnet, gateway, dns.. etc) will not be automatically configured.

Your first computer should look something like this, by default. The first computer will share Internet if you choose to do so through your cross over cable and ICS (Internet connection sharing) in Windows:

IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

The second computer should look like this:

IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

If you're new to networking, I'd encourage you to check this out:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic55006.html

And if you already know about this, then just disregard my reply. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back