Network Visibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

OGGBoy

I have a client with 3 sites. In one site, the older computers can see the servers and devices on the other sites, but the newer computers cannot. I spent hours over the weekend, trying to see why is that, but couldn't figure it out. I checked the SonicWall device for any specific instructions for the older computers, but couldn't find any. I compared the network settings on the old and new comptuers and they are all the same. I also check their servers for any hard code DNS or DHCP entries, but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

If there is anything wierd, I would say it would be th fact that the devices are provided a statis address instead of a dynamic ip address.

Physically this is that site's settings. Road Runner signal goes to the Sonic Wall appliance. From the Sonic wall it goes to a DLI NK switch, then to the devices.

Any clues anybody can provide would be greatly apprecitaed. Thanks

conrado

I guess you intend to enable sharing.

the new systems need:

1) to be in the same WORKGROUP cp->system->computer name

2) enable file/print sharing (ports 139,445)

3) enable Simple File Sharing

4) have a folder shared with permissions you require r/o vs. r/w

Here's another symptom I fforgot to mention. On the older computers I could PING an IP address of a device at another site (eg: ping 192.168.3.105 or ping site2machine) and I would get a response. On the new computers, when I ping the same computer on the remote site, I would get pinging 192.168.3.105, then "request time out".

OGGBoy said:
Here's another symptom I fforgot to mention. ... I would get pinging 192.168.3.105, then "request time out".
Significant! use this on the new system:
run->cmd /k ipconfig /all
to see how the NIC is configured

have you tried without sonic wall or other firewalls in place
and what does it say
timed out or access denied
time out is no connection established access denied is a security error????

Crossover is stressing me up

Ah! I have two PCs in my house, i have decided to do a crossover connection with the PCs, using RJ-45 unshielded twisted pair ethernet cable. I have done my cable configuration well, but when i pluggeg both end in the PCs adapters, tried to do the connection, i get confused to carry on.Can someone help me? I find it hard to do a cross over connection.:blush:

OGGBoy said:
Here's another symptom I fforgot to mention. On the older computers I could PING an IP address of a device at another site (eg: ping 192.168.3.105 or ping site2machine) and I would get a response. On the new computers, when I ping the same computer on the remote site, I would get pinging 192.168.3.105, then "request time out".

192.168.x.x are considered private IP addresses and are not routeable over the internet, they are for internal routing. When you try to get out, your more than likely using NAT from your router out and what happens there is the router assigns a port number to your IP so you can browse, etc. Do you know the ip of the gateway of the other site, and if you do can you ping it?

OGGBoy said:
If there is anything wierd, I would say it would be th fact that the devices are provided a statis address instead of a dynamic ip address.

Physically this is that site's settings. Road Runner signal goes to the Sonic Wall appliance. From the Sonic wall it goes to a DLI NK switch, then to the devices.
specifcally what model number? need to verify features (ie router +nat)

did you purchase static ip addresses? normally rr uses dhcp.

thanks for all the feedback. here is more info I just discovered. Instead of the Sonic Wall (192.168.2.1) as the "Default Gateway", a Wireless Access Point (192.168.2.254) is being used as the "Default Gateway". I thought this was strange configuration because from the cable modem, the cable is wired to the Sonic Wall and from the Sonic Wall to a DLink Switch (where all the devices are connected to), and from the DLink switch the Belkin WAP is attached.

I am suspecting the problem has something to do with the WAP being the Gateway. What do you think? Possible or not? Unfortunately, I can't get to the configuration of the device because my client doesn't know the password that the former technician used. GRRR.

Any more thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. BTW, my client has static IP addresses, and I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but all the PC at this problem site is also assigned a static IP address (ie: 192.168.2.120, 192.168.1.121, etc.) thanks again

conrado

disconnect all systems

temporarily disable WEP/WAP, reboot the device

reboot one system and then reconnect it.

when you can, use ipconfig /all to see the system TCP config

your wired systems (to the Dlink) should have the Sonic Wall OR your ISP
as the Gateway.

now connect the Belkin and WIRE a system to it and reuse ipconfig /all
to see it's config. If you use a browser to access the Belkin setup,
you might be able to set the Sonic Wall as the Gateway (preferred)!
Save any changes (and reboot again if saved).

should be able to reset the WAP to default password
and thats a good bet its tone of the problems
if you can get into disable dhcp it will act as switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back