network wireless laptop(xp) with desktop(2000) through wireless router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a desktop running windows 2000 connected to a wireless router with ethernet. I also have a laptop running windows xp connected to the router wirelessly. The each can access the internet perfectly fine...but how do I access the desktop from the laptop. How do I print from the laptop on the printer connected to the desktop. Please help....I have been looking for hours on how to do this and have found no solution.

you can do a remote desktop connection, provided that you enable it on both machines. you'll need the DNS names of both machines, btw.

Accessing Printer

First you have to be able to access the computer that the printer is connected to --- you can do this by "mapping a drive". If both computers share the same connection, you need to know the computer names (i.e. mine are simply named laptop and desktop) Under "my computer" Got to system properties and computer description and it will have the name of the computer.

Now in "my computer" go to "tools", "map network drive" and then pick a letter you want to call it. Then you have to pick where it is --- clik on entire network --- then look for the Desktop computer , pick it.

Now that the two computers are connected, you need to add a printer.
Go to "start" "settings" Printers, and "add a printer"
You want to add a printer connected to another computer or network - Browse for a printer and pick the name of the one you use on your desktop. Finish the wizard and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back