Network with router, PC's not receiving ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Router = Belkin Cable/DSL Gateway Router (F5D5231uk4)
O/S = Win XP home, service pack 2 (on all pc's)
Network Card = Realtek RTL 8139 family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Cable Modem
PC's = P4, 1ghz+, 512mb Ram
Router - 192.168.2.1
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.2.1
DNS - 194.168.4.100
Firewall switched off

Wired Network Setup:

PC a --
PC b -- Router - Cable - Internet
PC c --

Network use = All PC's to have internet access

Connecting PC A is fine and working at full.

When tryin to connect PC's B and C i seem to have the same
problem on both. Both Network cards LED light is on, so the connection
is fine, but both PC's cannot recieve from the router. They are able to send
with no problems. I have tried default settings of automatic IP and DNS
settings in the TCP/IP properties with DHCP, but both computers cannot find the network. The connection said - "Limited or no connection..."

After seeing this i manually put in the IP's 192.168.2.*, subnet mask, gateway
and DNS. When doing this the connection switched to "connected", i thought great its worked! But the PC was sending and not receiving still. Ive tried a whole host of things to get it to work, but no success. I tried automatic settings in explorer, network wizard, resetting modem and router.

Ive even tried and tested the cables, by unplugging the ones going into
PC B and C and plugging them into a laptop, and the laptop works fine, it connects to the network and can browse the internet.

Ive run out of idea's of what the problem is, why is PC A fine and the laptop also fine when using the same wires, but PC B and C dont see the router??

Could it be something to do with the router settings? Or something else? :confused:

Does that apply to Win XP aswell as Win2k??

On 1 of the PC's i formatted and reinstalled Win Xp just before i setup the network, so i haven't updated any drivers as of yet. Should i still try 'roll back drivers' on the network card?

Those settings are valid for any Windows-OS. If the PC with W2K on it has a Realtek 8139 NIC, do NOT install the MS W2K-update for Realtek, it screws up your networking.
Other than NIC-drivers (the ones built-in for W2K and XP are fine) you don't need anything extra.
Make sure all your PCs are in the same workgroup.

All the PC's are in the default workgroup of 'MSHOME'

I tried the rollback driver feature on one of the PC's but it said no drivers have been updated so unable to roll back. So i tried uninstalling the card, then rebooting. When booted back up, it re-installed itself and tried finding the network, but the same happened. It couldnt connect :confused: been trying for some time now to get this network to work!!

read my instructions again, and make sure to differentiate between WAN and LAN settings.
On the PC, the only place to change settings is in Start/Settings/Network...
Rightclick Local Area Network, select Properties, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button. Change as needed.

Not receiving packets

I have a Linksys router with 1 PC and 1 video phone. I am trying to add another PC to the network. I am sending packets but not receiving any. I updated the driver on my Realtek RTL 8139 NIC, but that did not help. I have done all the normal settings and troubleshooting and still can't find the answer.

Any ideas?

I am trying to route internet from my computer to the router , belkin

My connection is through dtnspeed.net
and I have a basket on my roof receiving wireless internet ,,
running into a
Cisco Systems 350 Series PCI Wireless LAN Adapter in my computer

My computer running Windows XP

How do I tell my computer to send my internet out through the NIC card
to the router .

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.