Networked drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am quite new to all this so please be gentle with me! recently given a laptop which was networked in an office. Nice little machine but....... the operating system has been taken off!! Have tried to reload, have tried to format, tried the fdisk thingy but to no avail, PLEASE can anybody help me - Thank you in advance

What sort of a laptop? What exactly do you want to do? What have you exactly tried to do? How exactly does it fail?

Nodsu said:
What sort of a laptop? What exactly do you want to do? What have you exactly tried to do? How exactly does it fail?

Thank you for replying. the following is what happens, after turning on it does a couple of beepy sounds, then goes to a screen that says TravelMate, the screen then goes blank for a second or two then "operating system not found" appears in the top lefthand corner.

Somebody suggested reformatting the hard drive with a win98 starup disk so I tried that but that didn't work although I couldn't the format command on the startup disk so after searching through my disks I found a universal boot disk for a gateway computer. The laptop did read this disk and I got into the Dos directory on the disk, tried then to format C drive but am told CANNOT FORMAT A NETWORK DRIVE

realblackstuff said:
try to do a sys c: from that floppy.
Or format the HD while you are still on the floppy, using format c: /s/u

Thank you for replying tried both sys c: says CANNOT SYS A NETWORK DRIVE
format c:/s/u says CANNOT FORMAT A NETWORK DRIVE

Do you happen to have a CD-ROM drive in that laptop? You would be better off booting from a Windows CD.

You need to mess with fdisk and format only if you are planning on running Windows 98 on the computer.

Nodsu said:
Do you happen to have a CD-ROM drive in that laptop? You would be better off booting from a Windows CD.

You need to mess with fdisk and format only if you are planning on running Windows 98 on the computer.

have tried 2 copies of win98, restore disks which have a copy of win98se on them, 2 copies of XP, plus some system and restore disks from another Acer laptop - think I hate laptops!!

There is a little-known parameter do dismount volumes, perhaps that works.
format c: /x/s/u

/x Causes the volume to dismount, if necessary, before it is formatted. Any open handles to the volume will no longer be valid.

realblackstuff said:
There is a little-known parameter do dismount volumes, perhaps that works.
format c: /x/s/u

/x Causes the volume to dismount, if necessary, before it is formatted. Any open handles to the volume will no longer be valid.

says the X is an invalid switch, tried S & U too but still no joy

bios

Have you gone into the bios to see if it even has a hard drive identified? Maybe it was removed. You never say directly but is it an Acer?

In order:

1. Try to get some direct technical assistance from someone who knows computers.
2. Try ACER phone support for help.
3. Try Microsoft phone support for help.
4. Take the laptop to a qualified shop to load the O.S. for you.

Trying to do this through a tech forum is a waste of time.

dadecamp said:
Have you gone into the bios to see if it even has a hard drive identified? Maybe it was removed. You never say directly but is it an Acer?

Yes machine is an Acer - TravelMate, don't know how to get into bios - sorry

The format from e.g. Windows 2000 has the /x switch. It may not be included in W98 or generic format programs.
Go in a windows prompt, or on that floppy, and type in: format /? to get an overview of the possible switches.

realblackstuff said:
The format from e.g. Windows 2000 has the /x switch. It may not be included in W98 or generic format programs.
Go in a windows prompt, or on that floppy, and type in: format /? to get an overview of the possible switches.

And we don't need stupid advice such as from "know-it-all" FlyingAce !!!

No X - got, V Q F:Size B S T:Tracks N:Sectors 1 4 8 C

realblackstuff said:
Get the format program from a more advanced version, such as ME or W2K or XP.
Do the format /? to find the /x switch
Acer laptops have mostly Fujitsu HDs. Try this Fujitsu-utility: http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/support/disk/software/erase.zip

You can also try Partition Magic.

The install-disks for Windows NT, if you can find them, contain some very powerful HD-format programs.

Thank you so much for your help I shall try this tomorrow and let you know the outcome, thanks again

Apparently, Blackstuff wants to take our disagreement public. That's fine with me. It seems that any advice given in this forum that doesn't originate from him is 'stupid'. As I told him, there is a point at which getting help is the best and easiest thing to do. Not everyone is a computer geek and doesn't want to spend days trying to fix something they don't have the background knowledge to fix? The originator of this thread does not have to take my advice, so what is so threatening about it?

Grow up Blackstuff.

FlyingAce said:
Apparently, Blackstuff wants to take our disagreement public. That's fine with me. It seems that any advice given in this forum that doesn't originate from him is 'stupid'. As I told him, there is a point at which getting help is the best and easiest thing to do. Not everyone is a computer geek and doesn't want to spend days trying to fix something they don't have the background knowledge to fix? The originator of this thread does not have to take my advice, so what is so threatening about it?

Grow up Blackstuff.

Ok now this is silly, FLYINGACE, I can appreciate what you are saying about taking it to a dealer and letting them have a look but they are rather expensive, £50 just to look (half an hours worth) and then £25 an hour after that + parts + VAT - at those prices its a no no. Blackstuff has been really helpful and if it takes days to fix then so be it, the amount of time it takes really is not the issue getting the laptop up and running is and if it works afterwards then great if it doesn't then at least we have tried. I agree that not everybody is computer geek but it is nice to know there are people out there that do have the knowledge and are prepared to share it.

So.......... c'mon everybody lets shake hands and concentrate on getting this laptop up and running so I can then give it to my neice who would dearly love a computer but her Mum can't afford to buy her one.

Ok I know you guys can argue all day as to who is right, but that doesn't need to be done here. Let's keep this thread on topic and get Lalatinkybell's problem fixed.

my friend had a laptop issue where his OS would not load, if i recall correctly we tried to reinstall the OS but had problems with that. but what fixed the issue was making sure the hard drive was connectly properly, which it was not. i guess give that a try maybe .. :confused:

I have the exact same problem with my Acer 210T which used to be networked at ninestiles school. I dont have the setup password because they didn't give it to me, and the hard disk has been assigned the letter x: the CD drive the letter R:, i get the same error message, has anyone solved this problem?

will unmounting the drive first help? can i get that version of format seperatly from a win2k disk?

*The solution*

To close this subject i have found the solution, the problem is in the partitions. The computer has a special partition related to its use on a network probably.

Use fdisk and select option 3 to delete partitions, now try all options until you delete your partitions. i used option 3.

once that is deleted select option one to assign logical drives, then select option one again to set the primary partition. before making a decision read the note*

If you want one drive with 100% space on it type 100%(use the percent sign)

If you want to partition your hard disk into multiple drives choose a percentage or megabytes (other drives will be assigned later, remember to use the percent % sign)

*(note that it makes sense to split your hard disk into an operating system drive and an extra storage drive so you dont lose work when the computer gets messed up again and you have to reinstall. the acer laptop i setup has 9gb hard drive i used a 33% for the primary)

When you have made your decision and you are back at the main menu choose option 2 and set your primary parition to active(press 1 then press enter)

If you set your primary partition to 100% skip to the ** below
If you didn't that is, for multiple partitions read on...

now select option one,(we want to set up the extra drives).
select option 2 we want to set up our extended partition to contain the extra drives

If you are asked to use the maximum available size press y
if not choose the maximum value in mb available or choose whatever percentage is left from the primary drive.

you may be sent automaticaly afterwards to define your logical drives
if not(from the initial screen press 1, then 3)

before you continue decide how many drives you want,
Now set the first drive by choosing its size in % or mb, (dont include mb, choose 100% to create only one extra drive giving you 2 drives on the hard disk, like i did), press enter to set this drive (D:?)

press enter and choose your second and so on untill you get a message telling you that you have filled the partition like "All available space in the extended dos partition is assigned to logical drives".
press escape to continue

** your hard drive is now partitioned the way you wanted, it should start from drive C:, I dont know what drive letter you CD drive will assume as mine was on R: for some reason.

Now you can format your drive/s type "format C: /fs:NTFS" you can choose a different file system or not include it, format all drives, i recomend specifying a file system, you can choose "format /?" for more help

once you finish that i recomend using scandisk before installing an OS.

Good Luck.

By the way my source was http://home.pacbell.net/dbk4297/fdiskformat.html and make sure you use a good boot disk i recomend this site for downloading them
-bootdisk.com
-freepctech.com (file downloads dont always work but i prefer them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back