TechSpot

Networked printer bat?

By me(who else?)
Mar 6, 2004
  1. I was setting up a networked printer on my home LAN, when I began to think. Normally I have to right click on a printer to connect. I was wondering wether I could write a bat to run at startup which would connect for me. Is there a command for this?

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I thought you could set it up that when you start the computer the printer will connect. Run around through the settings of the networked printer share and see if you can't find it.

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

If you would use a separate print-server, you would not even have to think about such a file. As long as the printer is switched on and has paper, it is always available immediately.

4. me(who else?)

me(who else?) TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 433

Really? My setup is this: I have 1 laptop(XP) on a wireless LAN connection and a desktop (2000). The desktop (obviously) is hooked up to the printer. I have a D-Link DI-614+ router with 802.11b support.

5. RealBlackStuff

Attach the printer to the printserver (e.g. Netgear PS110 for 2 parallel printers) and the printserver to the router.
    On the printserver-CD is the software, that needs to be installed on both laptop and desktop.
    As long as your printer/router/printserver are switched on, your printer(s) will always be available

6. me(who else?)

me(who else?) TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 433

I don't have a printserver, just a desktop...do I need some special software, or do I need to buy another piece of hardware?

7. RealBlackStuff

To set up the system as I described, you will need to buy a printserver. These come for 1 or 2 printers, in parallel or USB flavours. Look at www.newegg.com

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.