Networking 2 Computers with internet

By SniperXPX
Mar 15, 2007
  1. Hey. I have a basic problem and I bet you guys can help me.
    I am new to networking etc and I need an explanation on how to do something.
    Okay, I have a Cable Modem - > Windows XP Home Edition -> Windows 98 SE
    What I am trying to establish is for the Windows 98 Machine be able to access the internet through my Windows XP machine. Don't tell me to buy a router cause I want to be a able to do it this way first. I'd just like a link to a great article or a step by step explanation on how to do this because I've tried almost everything and modifying the TCP/IP Protocol in the Network Connections setting.
    - Thanks

PS: Yes, I am using a crossover cable and the Windows XP Machine has 2 ethernet ports. One on a PCI Card (To internet) and one integrated on the motherboard (To Windows 98 SE machine)
  2. SniperXPX

SniperXPX TS Rookie Topic Starter

Anybody? ?
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,160   +599

just start the ICS service on Win/XP. Sole concern is it will force itself to the address, so neither system may use that address.
  4. rwillis

rwillis TS Member Posts: 47

Yeah, ICS is a real trick to get it right. The IP of the host, as was mentioned, has to be Also, the client's TCP/IP has to be set to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically". Also, don't run Windows Firewall on the client (if it has it; I'm not familiar with 98); that can sometimes screw it up.
  5. SniperXPX

Thanks guys, I'll try it out later tonight.
  6. SniperXPX

Okay it can connect to the internet but one problem.
    It isn't using DNS, I have to manually put in the websites IP Address for each site I want to goto. Is there a way so that I can make it use my ISP's DNS or whatever my main machine's DNS server is? In the TCP/IP settings on my Windows XP Machine it automatically resolves it.
  7. SniperXPX

Nevermind, I fixed it. In the TCP/IP Settings on the other machine, under DNS, I put in my ISP's DNS Server IP Address and name. All working perfectly now :D
  8. SniperXPX

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.