Networking a mac and window machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a new iMac and a Windows Laptop. at present my iMac is connected to the broadband i would like to network the laptop and the mac wirelessly.
could you please let me know what wireless adapter for the iMac should i buy and what type of Access Point should i get. (considering the compatibility issue of the 2 platforms and the adapter and AP)

if possble also let me know of any websites that give details of how to share files between Mac and Windows

There are no compatibility issues when it comes to networking hardware. That's what we have standards for. If it's WiFi, then it works with anything (well, if we forget buggy drivers and devices).

If you want to share the internet connection, then you want to get a wireless router, not a plain access point.

You might want to have all the devices from the ame manufacturer to get best compatibility.

Macs support Windows file sharing AFAIK. So you just use the Samba implementation in OS X.

The setting is in Sharing in System Preferences under Windows Sharing.

key point for OS X/Samba access: the user ID on the Mac must match that of the accessing Platform (Win/XP, Linux).

There's nothing to add for OS/X or Linux (oh yea you need SAMBA loaded),
and each system will see the other. The User::public:: Drop Box will be the sole directory accessible from other systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back