Networking a USB Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Necrosjef

Hello,

I need to network 2 Pcs so that they are both using the same internet connection, where I live only allows one internet connection per household so this only leaves me with the option of getting a router over two computers.

I have never did anything like this before could anyone please hook me up with the right equipment i would need (router, network cards??, anything else). Both PCs are newish the older being almost 2.5 years old.

Any help would be grately appreiciated.

Thanks.

Do you want a wireless network work or wired?

Also I wouldnt network using USB i would use an rj-45 which is another name for enthernet. Also since the oldest computer you have is 2.5 years old it should have an ethernet port. So if you wanted a wired conenct all you would need to do is get a router connect it to your dsl or cable modem connection then plug one cable from the router to the comptuer and do the same thing to the other computer.

If you want to do wireless you could get a wireless router that also has a 4 port wired router built into the back so you could hve both comptuers wireless or just one wireless and the other one could be wired. So if you want wireless you would need a wireless router and just plug the cable from the dsl or cable modem into the router then you would need to get an usb wireless stick or get an pci wireless cad and install that then connect them wirelessly and plug the wired computer in the back or you could do the same thing to have another wireless comptuer

GeekieNick101 said:
Do you want a wireless network work or wired?

Also I wouldnt network using USB i would use an rj-45 which is another name for enthernet. Also since the oldest computer you have is 2.5 years old it should have an ethernet port. So if you wanted a wired conenct all you would need to do is get a router connect it to your dsl or cable modem connection then plug one cable from the router to the comptuer and do the same thing to the other computer.

If you want to do wireless you could get a wireless router that also has a 4 port wired router built into the back so you could hve both comptuers wireless or just one wireless and the other one could be wired. So if you want wireless you would need a wireless router and just plug the cable from the dsl or cable modem into the router then you would need to get an usb wireless stick or get an pci wireless cad and install that then connect them wirelessly and plug the wired computer in the back or you could do the same thing to have another wireless comptuer

I was told that another option would be for me to network using an ethernet connection however this person said i would need to buy a new modem and configure it to work with my ISP.

Which is why i would prefer to having a USB network, wireless or non-wireless doesn't really matter since the 2 PCs are stationary then either whichever is easier i guess.

If I'am going to network using an ethernet as you suggested could you please tell me how to go about converting my USB modem into an ethernet connection and then proceeding how to network it from there. My modem comes out from my telephone socket not sure if this helps but i don;t really know much more than that other than the fact it is a USB modem.

Thx in advance.

You cannot convert your USB modem to anything.

You can use the modem-equipped computer to share the internet connection to the other machine. You run a network cable between these two.

It will be much, much, much better if you got a modem that supports ethernet (ask your ISP for one first) and a router.

So i take it you have an DSL connection? Also most modems have ethernet as well as usb on the unit, I have cable interet and I know my modem is usb and ethernet yours might be as well or maybe not im not sure

Well i had another look at my modem but im pretty sure its only a USB modem, seems like a sealed unit with no open ports.

I like your idea Nodsu about connecting both computers in a network and share the internet connection. Can you please explain how i would do this :)

don't use the usb modem it will give you grief in making shared network
ask provider to supply a standard network modem with a rj45 jack
then buy a router use the nics you have in your machine with cat 5e cable to router router uplink or wan port to modem
setting up the router depends on isp
for cable you use dynamic disable dhcp and set the nic's to static
for dsl use pppoe enter you user info and set to always connected keep alive
if they can't supply find out what type of docsis specs they want you do use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back