Networking help requesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy05

This is the problem:

com1 = my computer w/ USB port
com2 = sis computer w/o USB port

com1 is using ADSL, com2 is using Dial-up connection. My father needs to use the phone line often and thus my sister will need to find an alternative to use the internet. My father asks whether there's a way for my sister to use my ADSL connection.

objective:
Primary objective is to allow com2 to use com1's ADSL connection. Both coms are current NOT networked, W/O LAN card, both running Windows 98SE. Secondary objective is to network both the PCs together.

cash is sponsered by my father.

I need help for the things I'll require to network my PC together AND to let them share my ADSL connection. Please ask me for more information you need if the information I gave is not sufficient.

- eddy05

This is what you need:-

2 x 10/100Mb PCI Network Cards - around £15 each
a Network hub/switch - around £40
2 pieces of Cat5e Network cable

What OS are you running? Windows 98 onwards has built in support for internet connection sharing.

both running Windows 98SE
Yup, as stated, Win98.

I'm not really well-versed in the knowledge of networking. Any brands and models which you can recommend? I'm pretty weak in networking hardwares.

Decent Brands include :-

3Com, DLink, Intel & NetGear

As for models, pretty much all models offer the same capabilities these days, the only difference being price.

Before you go the hub route, you might want to check and see if your ISP will allow 2 IPs without charging you more. If its just 2 computers it might be easiest to share the connection by having 2 NICs in the ADSL computer and 1 in the other computer, connected with a crossover cable.

Okay assume that I've just setup the hardware.

com2 -> PCI -> 10/100 Lan Card -> Cat5e network cable -> network hub <- Cat5e cable <- 10/100 Lan Card <- PCI <- com1

Now what about the software part?

please make sure your ISP allow you to have 2 IPs,
if they don't, you can go for a router instead of a hub, or
use one of the following

Sygate
or
win98se 's ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8

2 x 10/100Mb PCI Network Cards - around £15 each

Well average cost of Ethernet cards in singapore is around S$20. You can even get one for around $17. If i m not mistaken,there is a software which comes with the Ethernet cards is needed in the installation and the configuration of the card. You just need to have "internet connection sharing" installed in both pcs.

Originally posted by SleeperDC
please make sure your ISP allow you to have 2 IPs,
if they don't, you can go for a router instead of a hub, or
use one of the following

Sygate
or
win98se 's ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
Thats basically what I said :) I didn't mention the router though because I assumed he just wanted 2 computers together, and a crossover cable and an extra NIC is cheaper and for this use works just as well.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Thats basically what I said :) I didn't mention the router though because I assumed he just wanted 2 computers together, and a crossover cable and an extra NIC is cheaper and for this use works just as well.

just to let you know, Sygate doesn't need an extra network card.
only one NIC in each computer will work (with a hub, ofcoz), unlike the other ICS programs.

or

if you are sure your network will NOT grow, now the extra NIC comes in handy, coz it's cheaper than a hub.
this is how you do it:

ADSL modem --> [ NIC 1 (in)--> your computer --> NIC2 (out) ]--> your sister's computer (NIC3)

* like SNGX1275 said, you need a crossover cable from NIC to NIC
(straight cables are for NIC to hub/switch/router.)
* NIC 1 and NIC 2 are both in your computer, and no hub was used.
* NIC1 uses a IP from your ISP (ie. 123.123.123.123)
* NIC2 uses a internal IP (ie. 192.168.0.1)
* NIC3 uses a internal IP (ie. 192.168.0.2)

i guess this is detail enough...any questions just feel free to ask.
i am more than happy to answer.:D

It's not YOUR money so the key is: Will your dad pay the bill assuming it's reasonable and it makes sense? My solution is not the cheapest but I think it's the best solution for you.

My solution is to install a 10/100Mb PCI network card in each computer. Purchase a 4-port 10/100 Cable/DSL Router (Linksys, Siemens, and many other brands are good.) You can get a router for around $90 US. All you need to do is connect the router to your DSL modem and then connect each computer to the router. You'll need to buy Cat5 Ethernet cables to hook everything up, if you don't have them already.

The Cable/DSL Router has several advantages over just about any other solution:
1) Has a NAT firewall built-in for added security
2) Provides the ability for easy expansion if your dad allows you to host a LAN party with your friends!
3) Full duplex 100Mb connection between your two computers (faster for large file transfers) hubs are half duplex.
4) The router will include instructions on how to setup/configure
5) Doesn't cost much more than cheaper, inferior solutions

If you have an Internet connection without a firewall then there is a good chance that your computer is or will be hacked. It's even more likely if it's a high-speed connection like DSL. This is reason enough to have a firewall! My firewall gets hit with exploits 24 hours a day, 7 days a week about every 5 to 10 minutes...it only takes one to get through!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back