TechSpot

Networking Help Required!!

By Method
Mar 3, 2005
  1. Connecting New PC to an exsiting Network _ Help Required!!

Hey,

Just got a new pc(it should connect to the net throught another pc) and set it all up.
    I then try and get it to connect to the exisiting network but it doesnt work.

Basically. i had a previous pc in their all worked fine. i could go on the net etc etc.

i got a new pc and now when i try and connect to the network it doesnt work.

I have ran the network setup wizard on the host + client pcs a lot of times and have tried a lot of things in Network Placces.

It seems as if the PC is not being recognised by the network.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Scott | Method
    mushy_peas89@hotmail.com <(-- MSN

##edit##

i have also tried to add the new PC to the exsiting workgroup but it just doesnt seem to be working :(

2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 783

mmm... can you tell us what OS you re running, if you could tell us the Product version with service pack version. (mine is <5.1.2600.2180> SP2)

You may need to install some of the network drivers that you never mentioned this post.

Lucan

3. knuckleball

knuckleball TS Rookie Posts: 60

you have to make sure your workgroup settings are the same for your computers to recognize eachother.

4. Method

Method TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

Both have service pack 2 + windows xp home edition.

I think the network drivers are installed as there is a folder in my C drive named "DRIVERS" and in that there is another folder name networkcard or somethng,
    :eek:

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

6. Method

Method TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

Hey, Thanks for help.

Fixed problem.

I set up my Pc,
    discovered my networking problem
    then had no sound
    then my games wouldnt work

and yes it took me all that time to realise i had to install the drivers :knock:

:p

thanks

Scott | Method

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.