TechSpot

Networking issues! (XP)

By volume3k
Jan 26, 2003
  1. I brought over my new computer over to my friends house, we networked the 2 computers together with a cable and ran the XP networking wizard, the cable WAS connected but an error message popped up saying ' the cable is disconnected '

You can imagine how frustrating this is when the cable is new and definitly is a network cable.

I am now trying to network an XP computer and a Windows 98 computer. What do I do to fix this??

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

Are you using a crossed network cable with no hub, or 2 regular straight through cables and a hub?

You can't use a straight through cable between two machines without a hub. The send is then connected to send, and the receive to receive. You need a crossed cable, or with a hub and 2 cables, the cross is made in the hub.

3. volume3k

volume3k TS Rookie Topic Starter

So I need to go and buy a crossed cable? Im fairly new to this networking stuff, what is the visual difference between the 2 cables? or is there?

I once got 2 cpu's networked to each other with just the 2 cpus and one cable. I just want to do that again!

So just to make it clear, do I have to buy a crossed cable now?

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Yes, you need to buy a crossover cable.

Usually crossover cables they are colored red or sth bright and/or have "crossover" printed on them. But it may just as well be that the guy in store crimps you a crossover from plain cable and you have to mark it yourself.

You can see the difference between a crossover and a plain cable by looking at the plugs. When it's straight through, the wire color pattern is the same in both ends. For a x-over they are different.

5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +6

Depending on who made the cable, it might only be recognisable when you actually just examine the wiring into the connectors at the ends of the cable - they will be different, as opposed to a straight through cable which will be the same.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/s.bergmans/knowledge/concab/utpether.htm

Anyway, just ask the store and they will give you one. Otherwise, maybe you should buy a cheap 5 port hub. If so, go for a 100mbps.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.