Networking issues! (XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought over my new computer over to my friends house, we networked the 2 computers together with a cable and ran the XP networking wizard, the cable WAS connected but an error message popped up saying ' the cable is disconnected '

You can imagine how frustrating this is when the cable is new and definitly is a network cable.

I am now trying to network an XP computer and a Windows 98 computer. What do I do to fix this??

Are you using a crossed network cable with no hub, or 2 regular straight through cables and a hub?

You can't use a straight through cable between two machines without a hub. The send is then connected to send, and the receive to receive. You need a crossed cable, or with a hub and 2 cables, the cross is made in the hub.

So I need to go and buy a crossed cable? Im fairly new to this networking stuff, what is the visual difference between the 2 cables? or is there?

I once got 2 cpu's networked to each other with just the 2 cpus and one cable. I just want to do that again!

So just to make it clear, do I have to buy a crossed cable now?

Yes, you need to buy a crossover cable.

Usually crossover cables they are colored red or sth bright and/or have "crossover" printed on them. But it may just as well be that the guy in store crimps you a crossover from plain cable and you have to mark it yourself.

You can see the difference between a crossover and a plain cable by looking at the plugs. When it's straight through, the wire color pattern is the same in both ends. For a x-over they are different.

Depending on who made the cable, it might only be recognisable when you actually just examine the wiring into the connectors at the ends of the cable - they will be different, as opposed to a straight through cable which will be the same.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/s.bergmans/knowledge/concab/utpether.htm

Anyway, just ask the store and they will give you one. Otherwise, maybe you should buy a cheap 5 port hub. If so, go for a 100mbps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back