TechSpot

Networking: Media Sharing option turns off

By pw2much
Aug 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. My media sharing option constantly keeps turning off by itself even after I have reset it to share my media on all networked (4) computers and even while watching movies from another computer on my network, I have also enabled media sharing thru Windows media player and it still cuts itself off! can anyone help with this issue??
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,620   +82

Which version of Windows do you have? Make sure services for media share are enabled.
    You might have to

press start key + r at the same time then type: services.msc

Computer Browser (started/manual)

DHCP Client (started/auto)
    DNS Client (started/auto)

Function Discovery Resource Publication (started/auto)

start/auto/enable Homegroup Listener
    start/auto/enable Homegroup Provider

Network Connections (started/manual)
    Network List Service (started/manual)

Peer Name Resolution Protocol (started/manual)
    Peer Networking Grouping (started/manual)
    Peer Networking Identity Manager (started/manual)

SSDP Discovery (started/manual)

Also check on your system for software that is disabling sharing just our right like cleaners all-in-one does it because in theory suppose to reduce over head.
  3. pw2much

pw2much TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 109

I have checked that all of the services that were listed were started properly and I'll get back to you for the results, also I uninstalled C Cleaner and turned off all automatic features of my System Mechanic program. Thank You for the list!
  4. pw2much

pw2much TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 109

Sorry! But I just don't understand why this keeps happening! It hasn't changed anything!
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,620   +82

To fix that issue will have to create a new profile or have Windows recreate one for you. So the settings can stick. But doing so will change the way you are working now. Best thing to do is re-install the OS and start from scratch. There is something else going on your system. Could be malware or something else.

Try running Chkdsk C: /F / R
    or
    Sfc /Scannow

or both

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.