Networking multiple PC's via a Broadband Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I wonder if you can help me, I have 3 computers that I am trying to network via a US Robotics broadband router (which is then connected to a modem for the internet). 1 PC is Windows ME, the other 2 are WindowsXP... all 3 PC's are DHCP enabled and receive an IP address from the router.

I am trying to enable the PC's to be able to see each other and transfer files between them. So far all 3 PC's can gain access to the internet and can ping the router but cannot ping each other. I have put each PC in the same workgroup, shared a folder and are in the same subnet etc but I'm still having no joy :-( Am I forgetting something or missing something out? Will a Broadband router work for transferring files or is it only usable for allowing mutiple PC's to access the internet?

If anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it...

Thanks & best wishes

Kelina

problem connecting to internet

"i have a similar problem I am trying to connect my laptops to the internet using a hub, but am unable to do so. The cable modem is connected to the hub which is in turn connected to the 2 laptops using an ethernet cable.both the laptops are using windows XP.i can connect to the internet from only one of them at a time.(ie if A connects then B doesnt and vice-versa) i want both of them to connect to the internet at the same time. i cant use a wireless router as 1 of them is not wireless enabled. could someone please help me out so that i may be able to connect to the internet from both the laptops at the same time. are there any settings that i need to change to enable this?? i have a 8 port hub. all the ports are working fine as i have checked all of them individually. the ethernet cables are also fine as i have tested both of them. i dont want to setup one as server as that would mean keeping it on all the time. there are times when i need to use just one of them."
one more thing i have just 1 IP address

realblackstuff is correct that you need a router to connect to your modem. however, some routers have a swith on the back. on one side is a || and on the other is an X. set the switch to the X setting, allowing each port on the router to see/interact with each other. this should fix it. if not, you can try to access your router and fix it.

you can access your router using internet explorer:

get into a command prompt (start>run>cmd) and type ipconfig, while connected to your router. find your DHCP server address (usually 192.168.1.1) and enter that addredd into your address bar in internet explorer. you may be prompted for a password before allowed access to the router. if you do not know it, refer to your router's manual. if all goes well, you can now fool with the settings on the router. just don't screw up your working settings!

Zephead, you are way ahead of yourself! The poor guy is only asking for info ABOUT, not having a problem WITH a router.

At the moment I have a US Robotics 8000a-02 Broadband Router but it has no switch or anything, internet is fine but the config has no mention about allowing access for files to be transferred between PC's.. the router is a bit old...am I better off getting a new one?

Thanks & Happy New Year

Kelina

that post was directed more at the fist guy's problem. either way those are important steps for networking, it'll help e'm.

We missed something...

Double check the type of partitions you have on you XP machines. If they are formatted for NTFS the WinME machine will never be able to “see” their hard drive because it cannot read NTFS. You can only share FAT32 partitions with WinME or Win98 computers.

Now there is a bit of nonsense, if ever I heard one!
Through a network you can read ANY type of partition, even Linux. After all, the actual READ or WRITE is performed by the OS of the PC on which the file is located, NOT by the PC where the command originates from.

True

I agree, different partition types CAN see each other over a net.

I'm translating from my spanish 98 OS, so use sinonyms if you don't find the icons i mention:

You should check in Network - properties - tcp/ip blabla ethernet adapter - properties again.

Here check assign Ip manually, and set an IP for each machine, using the same ip the router has, with the exception of the fourth number, of course, which must be different in each machine. I.e., if your router ip is 192.168.0.0 (that's my router ip), assign manually to each machine the ip 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2....etc. The 3rd number is the subnet, if you change it the ones with the same number will see each other only (useful to create subnets that can't see each other, i.e. inside an office)

Also check that the subnet mask (in the same properties tag, below the manual ip) has the value 255.255.255.0, the same in all the pcs.

If you set it in assign auto ip, they will hook up to the Internet but they won't see each other, I believe that's your problem.

Hope this works, anything else just ask!

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back