Networking Problems Win95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie_42

Hey all,

My dear mother decided she needs a file off of her old computer....emphasis on old. It operates on Win 95, and dial-up. As she no longer has dial up that isnt an option.

I have an Ethernet adapter that i found win95 drivers for, installed just fine. But upon reboot, windows says: Found Ethernet adapter, found drivers, insert win95 disk (theres the problem), This disk is lost to the nether regions of the world.

There are no USB ports, and I doubt id be able to get a driver installed.

The A drive works like a champ, but the file would take 5 disks. This would be an option if i could then recombine all of the files into one on a modern computer.

The CD drive is non writing. and when i try to plug in a CD-Rw drive the computer wont boot (not even enough to turn the monitor on).

Help would be great

Thanks

If I understand correctly, the file you need off the PC will take 5 floppies. It's been a while, Windows 95/98 is a bit rusty, but in acase like this, I used PKZIP, and was able to create ana archive over as many disks I required. All I did was define how large each file needed to be, then PKZIP would put them all together.

It is sometimes called spanning. You can probably find a freeware archive utility that supports spanning so you can split the file into however many parts you want.

Or you could just remove the hard drive, and put it in your computer. Making sure not to try and boot from it, and making sure the jumper is set properly. Boot up and pull the file off, its just FAT, so you won't have any access permissions issues.

We fixed it. I do like the idea of a zip(compressed) file. i didnt think of that.

The file was a quickbooks back up, and she wanted to use her new laptop that doesnt have a floppy drive, nor does the newest quickbooks know that backup files can be on floppy disks.

So, i installed both the older and newer version onto my PC, up loaded the backup to the old one, created a new backup, loaded that into the latest version, created a backup from there, burned it to a CD and uploaded onto the Laptop.

Crazy

Thanks for the ideas though. I appreciate it.

Well that changes things a bit.
As a Quicken user, you can separate {archive} the files by month or year within Quickbooks to make the files smaller.

she needed all of them. She runs a small personal business and all of her inventory and records were on the old PC. She had to take the accountant 5 disks for him to do what he needed. Now we can discard the old hunk (i lol'ed when i first booted it, 64mb ram and 3.4gb hard-disk, and we thought the computers were more then we would ever need.)

Ahh yes, I still have some nostalgia myself. Old (very old) 8Mb Ram chips, 20Mb HDD...:haha:
You think back and realize how much things have progressed...

oh ya...the first PC my parents bought (i was in high school) was $3000 and they paid for all the upgrades so they wouldnt need another one. 266MHz Intel FTW.

Played my games in DOS. I think my cell phone is smarter then that computer was. and its not a fancy phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back