Networking via Crossover...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've connected my lappy and my desktop via a crossover cable. The desktop has ip=192.168.0.1 and subnet=255.255.255.0 and the lappy has ip=192.168.0.2 and subnet=255.255.255.0 . All other fields in the ethernet card properties, including gateway and dns, are blank.

I have uninstalled the firewall, even the damn antivirus. Windows' default firewall has been disabled. I ran the "small office or home network" wizard on both PCs to enable file and printer sharing. And this is what's happening:

I can easily ping one machine from the other, that's ok.
Now... I can only see the lappy's own shared folders in its "My Network Places" but I cant even see the desktop's shared folders in the desktops "My Network Places". Both machines can ping each other, but they cant see each other. As far as the My Network Places goes, the f**king desktop cant even see itself.

The workgroup name is the same.

I've tried everything..

Need help,

the ViSigoTH

Try running the network setup utility from your desktop, and enable Inertnet and file sharing from there...

Forget about the network neighbourhood. You can access the shares of the other machine by using the \\ notation. So just put in "\\ip.of.other.machine" in the Windows Explorer address bar, the Run dialog or create a shortcut to it.

Windows name resolution and network browsing (seeing stuff in network neighbourhood) is a sticky, unreliable and a useless thing.

Another way...

thevisigoth said:
I've connected my lappy and my desktop via a crossover cable. The desktop has ip=192.168.0.1 and subnet=255.255.255.0 and the lappy has ip=192.168.0.2 and subnet=255.255.255.0 . All other fields in the ethernet card properties, including gateway and dns, are blank.

I have uninstalled the firewall, even the damn antivirus. Windows' default firewall has been disabled. I ran the "small office or home network" wizard on both PCs to enable file and printer sharing. And this is what's happening:

I can easily ping one machine from the other, that's ok.
Now... I can only see the lappy's own shared folders in its "My Network Places" but I cant even see the desktop's shared folders in the desktops "My Network Places". Both machines can ping each other, but they cant see each other. As far as the My Network Places goes, the f**king desktop cant even see itself.

The workgroup name is the same.

I've tried everything..

Need help,

the ViSigoTH

Go into control panel
Click on Administrator tools
Click on Local Security Policy
Click on Local Policies
Click on Security Options
Scroll down for Network Access: Sharing and Security
Change it from Guest to Classic

Do this for both PCs
Make sure you have created workgroup name for both PCs
Static IP address
Default Gateway for the main PC that connects to the internet...

Reboot both PCs

Try it again...

Nothing Works!

Yes, yes, I've done all of that. Down to the last instruction, but still both my machines cant see each other, though they can still ping each other.

Damn, what the F**K IS THIS?
I need to transfer files...

ANY other suggestions will be thoroughly appreciated...
the ViSigoTH...

I don't like the cross over cable
I hub or switch gives less trouble...

ARe you on a domain or workgroup...

add a new user for both PC
give it the same password for both
make both admin

What's the error message you get when you type \\name_of_computer in Windows Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back