Networking with router? Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I have 2 networkcards in my computer.
one I connected to the internet and one goes to router.
The other computer is connected to the router.
I go to the properties of the network card and try doing "Allow other users to connect to the internet through this computer" but I get error when I do that.

So I'm thinking of connecting through the router. I don't know where to get directions from so please help. thanks.

Your config seems a bit messy to me ...

You said PC 1 was connected to the router AND to the Internet, so why do you want to connect to the Internet through the router ???

Which card's properties give you the error ? the LAN (router) one or the Internet one ?

Il would be cool to clearly explain the situation, plz, so we could help.

For example like that :

PC1 NIC1 > DSL/Cable Router/Modem > Internet
PC1 NIC2 > LAN / Hub / Switch
PC2 NIC1 > LAN / Hub / Switch

:)

The best way, in my opinion, is to have two computers connected to a router, which is connected to a modem that gets on the Internet.

PC #1 -->
--------------> [ROUTER] --> [MODEM] ----|| Internet
PC #2 -->

The router dials your connection for you, then the PCs connect to the network which in turn gives you internet access. Typically, there is a special network port on routers (usually on the far left or far right) which is called an "uplink" or "upload".. You'll probably want to connect your modem to this port. The computers should be plugged into the other, standard jacks.

You will not need two network cards per computer for this, which is a benefit.. Only one per PC.

You can setup your router by typing in its address (Usually http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1). You can input your DSL login and password so it knows how to dial your ISP. You can also choose from several different methods of connectivity, the most common settings I have seen are DHCP and PPoE which should make things easy for you.

Most routers come with software to set them up.. It makes it fairly easy as long as you are familiar with the settings that your ISP needs to get you connected.

Originally posted by Rick
The best way, in my opinion, is to have two computers connected to a router, which is connected to a modem that gets on the Internet.

PC #1 -->
--------------> [ROUTER] --> [MODEM] ----|| Internet
PC #2 -->

I agree with Rick, this is what i personally had setup for my home network to share DSL, its quite simple to set up, in fact the method with the least headache(less wiring than when having two network cards)....just follow the manual and the instructions provided by your ISP.

Okay so I have a HUB.
I have the Computer 1, which has two network cards, a. connected directly to the cable modem. b. connected to the HUB.

Computer 2 is hooked up to the HUB.

I went to the Network Card properties for Computer 1a. and tried doing "allow other users to connect through this computer". I check that and I get an error. It reads...
"An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start."

Now I checked my services and have all of them on.

I have no idea why it won't let me...

Okay, you say you have a hub? Now which one is it.. A hub or a router? :) They are two different things, if you have both - It is unecessary.

If you have a hub, then I would suggest replacing it with a router. I do not think it is possible (or at least I have never done it) to connect your PCs through a hub to your DSL modem.

A router is like a miniature port replicator with feelings, where a hub is a mindless port repository. The router is a little computer, basically, which will dial your DSL modem for you, assign IPs etc.. A hub does nothing but connect computers over LAN.

It may be possible to hook both computers to the HUB, then connect your hub to the DSL modem using the "uplink" port. If you enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on #1, give it an IP for 192.168.0.1 (usually) and dial your DSL through #1, then computer #2 may be able to use the Internet while host compuer #1 is on. I have never done it before and it sounds like it will not work.

Using 2 NICs per computer would basically give you two seperate networks.. You will probably not be able to share an Internet Connection unless the above method works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back