Networking with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobMan

I've been doing basic home networking for awhile with little problems. Recently, I had to network a WinXP, WinMe, and a Win98 machine. I'm having problems accessing all the computers. The XP machine can see the all the computers and access them. The Win98 machine can access the WinMe machine but not the WinXP machine. The WinMe machine can't access either machine. I've networked machines numerous times before just never with this combonation of machines. I'm sure all the settings are correct I'm just not sure why the WinMe machine can't access any of them. By the way, before I upgraded the to the XP machine, in it's place was an older machine that had Win98 on it. Then network worked flawlessly before WinXP came along. Not to mention, neither machine can access the XP machine. Also, I'm using a LinkSys Router to share the internet connection, files, and printers. If anyone is having the same problem, please help me find out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

Probably an elementary question but I'll ask anyways..Do you have file sharing turned on? I know you probably do but this is the only thing I can think of..

XP guest account is on (if using that)? Are the computers using the same network protocol?
I think this question belongs to "Windows OS" forum, by the way.

Try using the IP address to connect rather than the computer name. I cannot connect from my Win2K laptop to any of my three XP computers; however, they can connect amongst themselves just fine. The network settings on all 4 boxes are identical. The problem is that the XP boxes insist on thinking they're in my ISP's domain even though they're not.

RobMan, I was wondering, are you using NetBEUI on all the machines to network? I had a similar problem w/ my brother's WinME system using TCP/IP to network, but I then switched to NetBEUI on both my WinXP comp and his to find that it worked flawlessly w/o a hitch. Other problems I had were not setting all the machines to the same workgroup, which is a pretty stupid mistake if you ask me :eek:

Enabling NetBeui did seem to help but it didn't totaly correct the problem. I can now get to the printer of the XP machine, I just can't see any files. Where I'm at now is that the WinMe machine and Win98 machine can't access any files on the XP machine. It feels like I have tried everything there is to try but apparently I'm missing something. Thanks for the replys.

The most elementary answer should've been said already: winXP probably uses NTFS, which means win98 or Me won't be able to access any files from that machine unless you used FAT32 on winXP. Also, are you using any software firewalls?

a win9x machine can access NTFS partitions if they are on another machine over the network, but if its a local partition (i.e. a hard drive inside that win9x machine) then it can't.

Originally posted by erwin1978
The most elementary answer should've been said already: winXP probably uses NTFS, which means win98 or Me won't be able to access any files from that machine unless you used FAT32 on winXP. Also, are you using any software firewalls?

WinXP default install is Fat32 for Home edition and NTFS for Pro edition. It also depends on what Robman installed it as. He may have Pro installed as a Fat32 file system.

I have read that Pro has better network support than home. I dont know if there is something in Pro that isnt in home that Robman needs. I have Home and it networks to Pro fine. Im funning Fat32 file systems on both machines.

Thanks again for the replys. Here's the deal. The XP is a GateWay machine that has the Home Edition installed on it. It was setup that way when he bought it so I didn't have my hands in on building that one. I have WinXP Pro on my personal machine here at home and my other 2 machines are running Win98Se. Had a similar problem when I installed XP on my system but after I installed NetBeui, everything has been fine. I just so happen to be using the same router he's using too. The guy I'm doing this for is not really too concerned with this problem but he would like for me to eventually get it to work right. He paid me nicely and I would like to complete the job. I'm just out of ideas. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back