Networking XP to Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all,
i was hoping someone here would be able to point me towards information on how to network my new vista powered lappy to me xp desktop. this seems to be a very hard task. ive done the standard stuff i usually do to network two like pc's but this seems to be beyond me.

please help. copying files onto dvd/cd -r's is getting costly :)

I'm not sure what your 'standard stuff' is, but I didn't have any issues networking Vista and XP. You will probably need to check and make sure that the firewalls are setup to allow traffic back and forth, as well as Simple Network Sharing enabled on the PC's.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Hello. I had a similar problem getting my mixed network of XP/Vista file sharing working properly as well. I posted to blogs and asked for help, and although everyone was very helpful, none of the 30 or so suggestions ultimately worked. It wasn't until someone referred me to a program called HomeNet Manager that I was able to successfully setup my file and printer sharing for some reason and after that it was easy. (FYI - My problem resided with my firewall blocking the necessary ports and the Guest account of Windows Vista being turned off for some reason). Anyways, I would check out HomeNet Manager. It solved my problem right away.

Good luck!

thx for the usefull advice jasonvoit. i will play with it on the weekend and let you know of the results.

once again much appreciated

Vista is a pain in the Coit to network.

You may have to connect the machines via Ethernet 1st, so it adds the PC? to a Network, instead of "unknown".

If it actually finds the other PC, make sure the Network is Private, not Public, then you'll have 1/2 a chance. Sometimes Vista networks a piece of cake, sometimes it can drive you insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back