netwroking 2 PC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read some of the previous threads on networking 2 PC's and thanks to the great advice I have been succesful in one direction. :grinthumb

I can see my Win95 PC and it's files from my XP PC. I cannot see the XP PC from the Win95 PC. I do have NETBUI installed as well as TCP/IP in the Win95 PC. I can ping the XP PC.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to be able to see the XP PC and it's printer and files from the Win95 PC.

Thanks

Paul

Do you have both machines in the same workgroup? Can you access the XP machine by typing its address in the Explorer address bar (a la \\my.xp.machines.ip\)?

If I understand the format correctly, as in the address of the xp in the format 169.254.x.y, no I cannot access with explorer. Yes both are in the same workgroup.

The ip address you gave usually means your XP computer is not getting a valid IP address from your DHCP server (or router)... OR perhaps you need to set a static IP address for this computer.

The 169.254.xxx.xxx is an adapter-default IP address which is assigned by Windows, not your router / server.

If your network is DHCP and you aren't getting an automatic IP address with XP, then I would investigate the reason why you are not.

Hi Rick,

thanks for the comments. Actually I have the two computers connected with a crossover cable. There is no router/server. I believe the xp machine is set to be in control as it is the where the ISP connection is shared.

PaulS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back