TechSpot

New ADSL Router / Hub

By Tonkyboy
Apr 28, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone please help... I think I am missing something really simple.

I have just installed A shiny new Belkin 54g ADSL Router/Network Hub between a PC running XP Pro, and a new Sony Vaio Laptop also running XP Pro.

Both machines can connect to the internet Via ADSL, at the same time, no problems there. But.... I have enabled file & print sharing, and have seemingly setup the home network so that the two machines can exchange files, and use the printer that is connected to the PC. But I cannot access one from the other. In either direction. The PC is connected to the Router via Cat 5 cable, the laptop is wireless. Norton Internet security is on both machines, and the Windows firewall is switched off. Nortons firewall appears to be set to allow the IP range for the setup (it says it is anyway).

Would someone kindly take me by the hand, and walk me through what I may have done wrong, or not done at all. On the PC, I used View My Networks places, and the laptop was there, but I had no access rights. Apparently I need to talk to my administrator. Well, in this instance that's me and I don't know what to say to myself.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated (and needed).
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

3. Tonkyboy

Tonkyboy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

I'm pretty sure I got the workgroup names right (It's at another location, and I'm at home now). I need the workgroup name and the SSID in the LAN settings on the router to match, right ?
  4. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

Wait a minute, did you say router, Tonkyboy? try to get your internet line off the WAN and plug it in #1, plug the computer and laptop into the remaining number but not WAN

I did that with my friend two week ago. My friend plug internet lines in WAN by mistake

Lucan
  5. Tonkyboy

Internet has to be on WAN bushwhacker, there is only one input for the telephone line. I can see the laptop from the PC, but I just can't access it. Access is needed to the whole machine too, not just a few folders.
  6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

no, SSID and workgroup are different things. The workgroup name can be found by right clicking My Computer, go to Properties, then Computer name tab. The workgroup name found there needs to be the same on both machines, and the Computer names need to be unique.

Umm, on most routers, basic setup would require the internet line to be in the WAN port(also called the Internet port on some routers). You normally only put internet into a LAN port when using the router as a wireless AP instead of a Gateway(this is most common setup)
  7. Tonkyboy

Been back today. All sorted now. It was bloody Norton !
    Nortons firewall was configured to allow to IP range over the LAN, but it couldn't get through. So, I turned off the Firewall, set up the Network connections, no problems. Re-started Norton, and now Norton is happy to let it work. Crap software.

Thanks for your input guys.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.