New AMD build, tell me what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to upgrade next week and I wanted to know how well can this computer run the latest games, what you think about it and maybe give me suggestions. Thank you.

Specs :
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS

DFI LANParty UT NF4 ULTRA-D Motherboard ATX S939

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor S939 San Diego 2.2GHZ 1MB L2 Cache

SUNBEAM TRANSFORMER GAMING 21IN CASE

Antec True Power II 550W EPS12V 24PIN SLI Ready Power Supply

Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon Copper Alum CPU Heatsinkfan

OCZ EL Platinum XTC PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-3-3-8 184PIN Dual Channel Memory

Powercolor Radeon X1900XT 625MHZ 512MB 256BIT 1.45GHZ GDDR3 (to be overclocked to or over XTX speeds)

Looks like a fantastic gaming system. You should be able to run all games on high settings with that monster.

The only thing I personally would change is the CPU. You happen to be ordering the one I have, and don't get me wrong, it is an amazing CPU. Very fast, and very overclockable.

But I bought mine 7 or 8 months ago. If I was buying now, I'd go dual core. If you are an overclocker get yourself a nice Opteron (dual core). Just something to think about.

DonNagual said:
Looks like a fantastic gaming system. You should be able to run all games on high settings with that monster.

The only thing I personally would change is the CPU. You happen to be ordering the one I have, and don't get me wrong, it is an amazing CPU. Very fast, and very overclockable.

But I bought mine 7 or 8 months ago. If I was buying now, I'd go dual core. If you are an overclocker get yourself a nice Opteron (dual core). Just something to think about.

I heard dual cores had problems with some games that don't support dual core, wich results in lag and stuttering. But between the 3700+, the Opteron dual core and an X2, wich one would be the best for gaming ?

All newer games are being programmed to utilize dual cores now, and games that do not utilize dual cores are being patched up in a hurry. There are of course exceptions, but dual core has evolved at a rapid rate over the past few months, and everything is moving in that direction.

As to which one to get, it is a question of budget and your feelings on OCing.

For me it is a toss up between the X2 3800+ and the Athlon64 3700+. The 3700+ is such an amazing CPU, I might stick with it. But if you have the budget for a higher clocked X2 (stick with the 1Mb cache models only) then go for it.

If you are willing/interested in OCing, then the opterons are a great deal. I have never had the chance to play with one, but the word is they are amazing overclockers. They also have a high L2 cache and are very well priced. I am considering one as my next upgrade.

EDIT: mentioning this just because I have to, you also are aware of the newly released AM2 systems, and the upcoming Conroe systems? Building a new system around a 939 socket.... questionable at this point. Then again, it it will have enough upgrade options for at least another year and a half or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back