TechSpot

New AMD build, tell me what you think.

By SeedOfHate
Jun 9, 2006
  1. I'm going to upgrade next week and I wanted to know how well can this computer run the latest games, what you think about it and maybe give me suggestions. Thank you.

Specs :
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS

DFI LANParty UT NF4 ULTRA-D Motherboard ATX S939

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor S939 San Diego 2.2GHZ 1MB L2 Cache

SUNBEAM TRANSFORMER GAMING 21IN CASE

Antec True Power II 550W EPS12V 24PIN SLI Ready Power Supply

Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon Copper Alum CPU Heatsinkfan

OCZ EL Platinum XTC PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-3-3-8 184PIN Dual Channel Memory

Powercolor Radeon X1900XT 625MHZ 512MB 256BIT 1.45GHZ GDDR3 (to be overclocked to or over XTX speeds)

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Looks like a fantastic gaming system. You should be able to run all games on high settings with that monster.

The only thing I personally would change is the CPU. You happen to be ordering the one I have, and don't get me wrong, it is an amazing CPU. Very fast, and very overclockable.

But I bought mine 7 or 8 months ago. If I was buying now, I'd go dual core. If you are an overclocker get yourself a nice Opteron (dual core). Just something to think about.

3. SeedOfHate

SeedOfHate TS Rookie Topic Starter

I heard dual cores had problems with some games that don't support dual core, wich results in lag and stuttering. But between the 3700+, the Opteron dual core and an X2, wich one would be the best for gaming ?

4. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

All newer games are being programmed to utilize dual cores now, and games that do not utilize dual cores are being patched up in a hurry. There are of course exceptions, but dual core has evolved at a rapid rate over the past few months, and everything is moving in that direction.

As to which one to get, it is a question of budget and your feelings on OCing.

For me it is a toss up between the X2 3800+ and the Athlon64 3700+. The 3700+ is such an amazing CPU, I might stick with it. But if you have the budget for a higher clocked X2 (stick with the 1Mb cache models only) then go for it.

If you are willing/interested in OCing, then the opterons are a great deal. I have never had the chance to play with one, but the word is they are amazing overclockers. They also have a high L2 cache and are very well priced. I am considering one as my next upgrade.

EDIT: mentioning this just because I have to, you also are aware of the newly released AM2 systems, and the upcoming Conroe systems? Building a new system around a 939 socket.... questionable at this point. Then again, it it will have enough upgrade options for at least another year and a half or so...

5. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 841

Dual core is still only used in a few games. AM2 is better and a 3800+ is cheaper! Best deal for gaming for now. Conroe kicks this out of the field.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.