New AMD CPU's = AMAZING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhh yes, the end of Intel is near.........look over your shoulder Intel, see that speeding bullet getting ever closer? Yeah that's AMD!!!

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
Ahhhh yes, the end of Intel is near.........look over your shoulder Intel, see that speeding bullet getting ever closer? Yeah that's AMD!!!

I don't quite get why people want Intel to call it quits... Ok, so you don't like their cpu's, their marketing etc., but if they pack up and go, it's going to be one competitor less on the market....
And with the remaining competitor then being Cyrix, AMD can do whatever they feel like to the prices and productcycles...

It's like the vid.card business... While i, for reasons of my own, don't like nvidia, I don't whish for them to go broke, as that would be one company less to drive technology forward, and force down prices... (Same for ATI & the rest...)

The point of capitalism, is the more companies producing competing products, the lower the prices and increased features the consumers get... Fewer products usually leads to higher prices, and less money spent on R&D, as it isn't as important to drive the technology forward....

.02$

I realize your point and agree with you, I was simply procrastinating. All I want to see is people other than us computer builders knowing about AMD instead of opting for Intel without knowing the facts. If AMD keeps gaining shares in the market then people will realize their potential and at least give them a chance over Intel.

Intel's PIII's were great cpu's, but I lost alot of respect for Intel when the P4's came out and the performance was and still is so poor.

When AMD is outperforming Intel then they should be getting some respect in the market especially since their cheaper.

When AMD is outperforming Intel then they should be getting some respect in the market especially since their cheaper.

Ok... You got me a bit worried there... I agree with you that people should open their eyes a bit more and check out what other options there are on the market before buying, as they're loosing out otherwise, but you were just a bit harsh in your prev post...

though I can understand some consumers... For those who's been using a 'puter for some years rememer the cyrix and the k6... not exactly something you'd wanna buy, so people got accustomed to the fact that intel was (more or less) the only choice...
And when your interest in 'puters are minimal, they are only a tool on which you work, then why go anothing but mainstream...

I think that if AMD did a proper ad campain, in which consumers got a little bit more info about cpu's (and not just a regular pr blurb), they might be more on the lookout the next time they're out shopping for a 'puter...

As for performance... IIRC the northwood (2.0a) is closing the gap between AMD and Intel (though not entirely...)

.02$

Agreed, and sorry if I sounded harse, it is not intended. I think if AMD did a respectable ad campaign then they would be much better off. I sometimes wonder why they don't.

I also agree that the newest P4's are showing performance gains, but when the new Thouroughbred's and Hammer's come out they will perform much better than any current offering from AMD, thereby putting even more pressure on Intel to put out a chip worth buying that doesn't cost an outrageous amount of money.

Agreed, and sorry if I sounded harse, it is not intended. I think if AMD did a respectable ad campaign then they would be much better off. I sometimes wonder why they don't.

Might have only been me...
I guess they're hoping that the PR rating will help, but I doubt it... But I'm not on their PR staff, so...

I also agree that the newest P4's are showing performance gains, but when the new Thouroughbred's and Hammer's come out they will perform much better than any current offering from AMD, thereby putting even more pressure on Intel to put out a chip worth buying that doesn't cost an outrageous amount of money.

But then there are the new cpu's from Intel, which might close the gap further...

I'm glad I'm a consumer and not an engineer at either companies :)

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
I don't quite get why people want Intel to call it quits...
I couldn't agree w/ Mr.G. more. Personally I get sick of all the AMD -vs- Intel as much as the old Voodoo -vs- nVidia threads.
Technology is great & the resulting benifits & lower costs to consumers is all we can hope for. However I don't think I can afford a platform change!

p.s. I wish you guys would learn the correct way to post a News Story.
Got News? > Guidelines for Posting News
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=857

If you don't mind uncleel telling me personally how to post it would be nice. I've tried lately to site author, title, and quotes. Thanks for the help!!!

Super

ie:

AMD's Hammer 3400+ rocks benchmark
By Oystein W. Hoie InfoSatellite.com January 18, 2002
http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2002/01/h180102amd_future.html
Benchmarks published by a Czech hardware site show the performance of AMD's coming Clawhammer 3400+ processor, that is claimed to be the part that will change AMD's role in the processor market forever. Apparently providing results that outperform Intel's Pentium 4 3 GHz by 35 percent, the new processor is likely to make the industry rumble when it is launched near the end of the year.... (etc.)
p.s. w/ this format, you'll have a better chance of making the homepage. Staff simply can't click & read every url posted. This is why the byline & news "blurb" is important, in that it is a condensed form.

Hey Cucumber, Wassup ??

I posted a new story last night on this here too, seems Hammer is now comming out in Q4 (october) of THIS year. Read my other post for more info. Have fun !

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
what's the fsb gonna be on that hammer?? hopefully 266 so i can use my current motherboard :D

Hey PHATMAN5050,

I can't remember what the FSB is going to be but you CANNOT use your current motherboard. Hammer has a ton of pins added to it. Sorry :(

Here is the Hammer Q&A from AMD

AMD Hammer

And here is the Hammer page at AMD, click on links at right for the info.

Hammer Page at AMD.com

Originally posted by erwin1978
I want to start-up my own processor line; who wants to join me?

I would love to, however I am short about 1 billion dollars to start up the line. Can you lend to me for awhile ? I can post date a check.....til let's say 2097 ? ;)

Hey I'll get in on the processor making business!!! Like boeing said, who wants to lend a 19 year old college student 1 billion dollars!!! ;)

GREAT SUPER, Now we have 3 in the company. Now if we get a few more, we could make our initial investment lower, we are down to about 350 mil a peice !!

Sweet, Thats 4, now our start up cost is a meer 250 mil a piece!! I know I am going to the bank tomorrow and get it together. Where should we locate our new FAB ??

Let's see how about right here in the "dirty" south boeing??? ;)

Nothing like some Georgia love to spread around to everyone!!!

Let's see how about right here in the "dirty" south boeing??? ;)

Nothing like some Georgia love to spread around to everyone!!!

I'm for the south too Super, not that I like it, but because I won't have to travel far....lets say somewhere between ATL and Sav ?? Like Macon mabee ?? ;)

Thanks for the link Boeing, i think thats what ill be saving up for next, they look pretty sweet:eek:
Always an AMD man, dont particularly care about the extra heat:hotouch: , and mine runs @36º idle OC'd! So it isnt a problem.
Also....i think i prefer spending half the money and getting more speed!!:stickout:

Cya;)

Since I came up with the idea I think it's only fair that I be the CEO of Erwin1978 Inc. :eek: I think our homebase should be in Hawaii. Yah! that's nice. Our first processor should be named the Erwinian XL. Now if that doesn't say speed I don't know what is.

Originally posted by erwin1978
Since I came up with the idea I think it's only fair that I be the CEO of Erwin1978 Inc. :eek: I think our homebase should be in Hawaii. Yah! that's nice. Our first processor should be named the Erwinian XL. Now if that doesn't say speed I don't know what is.

Sorry Erwin, You came up with the idea but Super, Goomba and myself are your backers, and your board of directors. You can be CEO but we control you. As for Hawaii....no can do, too much salt air.

As for the name, We have chosen SuperGoombaBoeing 7770++XXPPP, we think it just rolls off the tongue better than Erwinian XL.

So you can be CEO if you like but we will over-rule all decisions.

Congrad's on your new position.

Boeingfixer, Supreme Elite Board Member of SGB Waysuper fast Inc.LTD.LLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back