TechSpot

New BeOS Developers Edition

By SuperCheetah
Mar 22, 2002
  1. It seems there is a new version of BeOS for download although it is a developers edition.

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Cool! Now who said BeOS is dead? :haha:
    Got to get this one..
    Thanks for the information!

3. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Posts: 773

Cool... One thing though, will this release be supported?

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Supported by how? Be, Inc. won't support it but you can ask if you have problems :)
    Or check from The BeOS Tip Server.

5. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Posts: 773

Should have thought so :D Makes me wonder why they bothered releasing a developer's edition if they don't plan to support it :D

6. Mictlantecuhtli

They? I didn't found who's behind this release but I think it's not Be, Inc.

7. Ion Hunter

Ion Hunter TS Rookie

I got my hands on the Be Dev. Edition. And in all respects works as well if not better than the pro version. With a little coersion I managed to burn the images to a cd and was installing it on its own partition.
    Basicly all BeOSonline.com did was take the Be Personal Edition and put in the things that should of been there to begin with. New drivers, new programs, IDE inviroments, that list keeps going and going. You can think of this as Free Be Pro. :)
    As for supporting this release/upgrade. Well as you all know Be Inc. is belly up, and our beloved OS is now kin to the Open Source projects. So as one of the previous post above states, BeTip Server is your best bet for support at this time. Local forums and such are a sure fire source of information.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.