TechSpot

new bloke

By roger_wall
May 11, 2004
  1. Hello All,
    I've been a computer programmer for 13 years or so (C++) in Melbourne, Australia (from banking apps to telephony, CTI, etc).
    Over the last 2 years I moved to East Gippsland which is in the country (4 hr East of Melb) to help with my wifes family business and to have a change. We make Concrete Pre Cast Panels for building Industrial Shed, SUpermarkets, etc. And also have a Crane Hire business.
    Quite a change from computing. Am now trying to start up a thing where I get old computers from people, organistaions etc and clean them off and then give them (via the SMith Family charity org ) to needy students ie. who have no computer.
    Am hoping to use the Microsoft Authorised Refurbisher (MAR) program to load on a free OS to the comps.
    So that should be good.
    Prob is I don't know mauch about hardware and setting up ,e tc as we always had tech to do this sort of stuff.
    So that why I am look at sites such as this one , etc.
    Well thats it - ohh yeah loverly wife , 2 girls 2 & 6, two cows , 6 chocks and 1 dog.
    If anybody has any advice on the above or generally good sites to learn HW and resolve installation problems that would be much appriciated.
    Thanks Roger.

2. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 482

Welcome Roger- you are at the right place. These guys are excellent- friendly, knowledgable and love good problem to sink their neurons into. Good luck in you philanthopic venture!

3. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 380

Welcome aboard Roger...we're glad to have you here at Techspot. Enjoy your stay...

:hotbounce

4. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

Sounds like you've got your hands full and looking for more. Good for you and I commend you on your wish to do good for the needy.

And Welcome In!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.