New board and processor Windows Freezing

By getthescoupe
Nov 10, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all...I'm very new to this forum stuff so please bear with me..
    Just got a new Asus A7N8X-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800+, and 512MB DDR Azenram.
    First off I had a hell of a time setting up the advanced chipset features in the bios to get the performance I was supposed to...now after that's all been done and XP PRO installed the computer keeps freezing..

Windows boots fine and very fast...once booted though and I start to run different applications...especially downloading the computer just locks up...after a few seconds I get a couple seconds where I can move the cursor and then it locks up again and so on. With performance monitor open the cpu usage spikes and drops and so on....I'm at my wits end with this machine....can anybody help????
  2. dhcdhcdhc

dhcdhcdhc Newcomer, in training

I found the same thing when I build this exact system in may 2004.

I found the problem to be lack of heat transfer from the cpu
    to the heat sink. Added some more paste, not too much.
    The original paste dried out.

It fixed the problem. The system runs great.
    You need at least an antec 430 watt system power supply

good luck
  3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

4. getthescoupe

getthescoupe Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks

Thanks for the prompt feedback...I was also thinking that this might be a temperature issue. I just wanted other opinions before spending more money. I will try adding more thermal paste :D
  5. getthescoupe

This thing is soon going in the garbage!!!

Hey....so I added more thermal paste...no change.

I've ran mem tests using memtest86 and that checks out fine. I ran some other burn in test for the cpu, memory and board and everything passed just fine. I also tested the harddrives with PowerMax, and they're ok. Still having the instability issue mentioned above. I do notice that I get video slurs as well when the computer locks up...I've turned the hardware acceleration off and no change. I don't have another video card here to swap right now but I don't really think that's the problem anyway..any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
  6. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Gett... Quote

"Windows boots fine and very fast...once booted though and I start to run different applications...especially downloading the computer just locks up...after a few seconds I get a couple seconds where I can move the cursor and then it locks "

Generally ,I tend towards thinking a Software/Driver issue ,since you are able to boot to XP.
    Are there any "Event log messages,etc."
    Are you able to get to the GUI safe mode,and stay there long enough to make changes?
    I am curious about the drivers for your Vid crd.
    Also you mentioned ' a hard time with Advanced Chipset to get performance"
    You might want to back out of those changes to default settings ,then make one change at a time after testing stability for each step.
    Good Luck
  7. getthescoupe

Its working!!

I had an NVIDIA TNT2 Vid card that I swapped with the one in the new machine....that seems to have solved the problem....it was just an old second hand pci video card as the system is being built mainly for recording. Windows XP is now not booting...but a format and fresh install should cure that...thanks for all of your help! :slurp: :slurp:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.