TechSpot

new board won't POST, Processor not running at correct speed

By LexiDad2004
Aug 18, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all, I'm going absolutely nuts. I'm building a new system up for my mom and the parts she bought are fubar! The old board wouldn't format the HDD when I tried to install windows XP pro on it, though the hard drive did fine loading in my PC. Bought a new board and it won't POST. I had the Bus set to 233MHz which is what AMD lists as the frequency for the AthalonXP 2800+, but when I put the processor back in the old board to make sure I didn't fry the processor it read it's bus speed as 100MHz. I upped the speed to 233 on that board and it stopped posting. Do I have a bunk chip? If so, is the old board actually ok?

I'll post all the specs of the boards when I get back, but any 1st thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The correct front side bus speed for your athlon 2800+ cpu is 166mhz. By setting it to 233mhz this constitutes a massive overclock, and that is why your system wont post.

If you look at the cpu specs below you will see that the Athlon xp 2800+ has an fsb of 333mhz which is means it should be set to 166mhz. 166mhz X the multiplier of 12.5 = 2083mhz clock speed.

See HERE for athlon specs.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.