TechSpot

New Build: Mobo suggestions, please!

By josbd
Jan 30, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am planning a new build. This is going to take a while since I can only afford one major piece at a time, but I should like a decent set up which is vaguely "future proof".

I was thinking of basing this around the AMD (Venice) Athlon 64 3500+ 939 (unless anyone has any other suggestions!) I have about £140 (US$ 280) to spend on the CPU.

My main question is about a suitable mobo. Similar amount of cash to splash on that, and I was looking at the Abit Fatal1ty.

I don't do much gaming, but I should like the build to be "able".

Any suggestions would, as always, be gratefully received!
  2. s3xynanigoat

s3xynanigoat TS Rookie Posts: 141

A8N32-SLI Deluxe, it wtfpwns you
  3. JohnK93

JohnK93 TS Rookie Posts: 70

I just built a system with a Asus A8N-SLI deluxe mobo and AMD Athlon 3700 (939) cpu. I didn't build it as a gaming machine, but I'm definately happy with it's performance (also have a evga 7800GT). the mobo was well under $280, as was the cpu (and they're even cheaper now).

One warning against building in pieces...you may find yourself past the 30 day return period if you spread out the build. I built mine all at once for this reason...and with the no interest for 6 months at newegg, you can't lose. I don't know exactly what the return policies are at different stores, but you don't want to have to return a broken part that you just installed and find you are past warranty.

Good luck!

John
  4. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Posts: 464

I recomend both the ASUS A8N-SLI and the ASUS A8N32-SLI. The 32 is much better though, and has better cooling. It's around $190. Pretty good bargin.
  5. s3xynanigoat

s3xynanigoat TS Rookie Posts: 141

Oh one thing that I forgot to mention about the A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo is that you may have to be put on a waiting list to get one. I was on a waiting list for 2 months for it. I have it now though and it was worth the time.
  6. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

I also have the A8N-SLI (deluxe), an Athlon64 3700+ and an asus 7800GT. Love it. Squeeze it. Bow down before it.
  7. josbd

josbd TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 289

Superb! Thanks all!

And very good point John! Shall bear that in mind.
  8. nate39

nate39 TS Rookie Posts: 59

Abit AN8 Ultra would be less expensive than the Fatal1ty yet just as capable with some better options. I have the Reg. AN8 and love it. If you are into ATI cards like I am check out the At8. It is new but seems to be loaded.
  9. josbd

josbd TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 289

Thanks Nate, shall check them out!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.