New Build. Monitor displays glitches then goes dark. GPU problem?

I recently just built a gaming PC with my friend. I have installed all of the drivers for the GPU from the installation disk it came with. Windows has been updated fully also, besides three updates that continue to fail. They are just security updates, they may or may not be the problem. The PC runs fine, and the display will show clear and crisp for about half an hour, until glitches will start to appear in the screen and next the monitor will appear black. The light is still on, and the PC is still running whatever it was last. I know this because it did it during a driver installation and after I waited an hour and then restarted the PC the driver install was done. Often after I restart the PC, nothing will show up at all. If I wait awhile and get lucky it will boot up normal. The glitches happen most often when I try to run a game. The mentioned updates continue to fail and idk why. I have ran a troubleshoot for the PC as well and the it says no driver can be found for the PCI Simple Communications Controller. After I choose to search for the driver online or on my computer, it says no driver found. During a Windows Update failure I got another error message concerning my graphics driver saying a problem could've occurred because a graphics driver is missing. Yet, the program, GPU Tweak, that was installed with the disk says that everything's up-to-date. When I try to update manually, it says the sam thing. This computer was not expensive. I can post exact specs when I can get back into it, and maybe some pics.

Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 4.15.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 4.16.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 4.16.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 4.16.24 PM.png

Specs. Not listed is a terabyte of memory, blu-ray burner, and and an msi Z97-G45 Gaming motherboard. I have a strong internet connection and am using a DVI port for the monitor. I have ruled out the monitor as the problem. Before I said the PC was NOT expensive. I meant NOT cheap. I spent around $900 on the parts.
Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 4.38.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 4.38.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 4.38.12 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the screen shot of GPU-Z it appears you are running a AMD Catalyst 13.8 BETA drivers. I would suggest downloading the latest drivers from AMD: AMD Catalyst Omega Drivers 14.12. Then go into your control panel and completely uninstall the amd catalyst from your computer. Once completed, you may need to reboot the computer. After reboot, install the newest drivers from the link I posted above. Do so and then try again to produce same error results. Let us know if it works or not so we can try other options, or resolve the issue.

Looking at the screen shot of GPU-Z it appears you are running a AMD Catalyst 13.8 BETA drivers. I would suggest downloading the latest drivers from AMD: AMD Catalyst Omega Drivers 14.12. Then go into your control panel and completely uninstall the amd catalyst from your computer. Once completed, you may need to reboot the computer. After reboot, install the newest drivers from the link I posted above. Do so and then try again to produce same error results. Let us know if it works or not so we can try other options, or resolve the issue.

I have done exactly as you said. Since today I have been able to take care of the windows update issue, PCI issue, and was also able to download some display drivers as well for my monitor by first going into safe mode with networking and then cautiously starting regularly and taking care of the rest. I am no longer receiving issues when I troubleshoot the PC. I used an AMD uninstall setup and then returned with the latest AMD driver setup install they had. I can run most everything from desktop without the glitches now, which is much better than before. Everything is fairing much better. I am still having problems when I run a game though. Within 10 min or so, it will once again react with the glitches.
Question...I am using an Analog/Digital monitor with DVI to VGA cable. When installing a driver for the monitor, a SyncMaster 2233 SAMSUNG, it asked me to choose a driver for either Analog or Digital. I chose digital because I was wasn't quite sure and desperate for a quick fix. Would Analog be best? The driver was recommended by DriverNavigator.

I think that the Digital driver is the right choice, but I may be wrong on that. Lets find out more information before changing more drivers.
  1. Have you tried a DVI to DVI cable? Looking at the specs for your monitor (there are a couple different sub-classes of that monitor - so I am unsure which one you have), I assume that your monitor has a DVI connection. And looking at the graphics card you have (Radeon HD 7770) that too should have atleast 1 DVI connection (if not 2). If you do not have a DVI to DVI cable, maybe you can borrow one from someone to test it out before going and buying one.
  2. Have you done any Overclocking of the graphics card? If you have, you may have improper settings. We can work that out if you have.
  3. What is the make and model of your PSU (Power Supply)? Depending on what the wattage rating is, you could be trying to draw too much wattage from a power supply and it's causing it to "lock up" the video card because that is whats drawing the most from it at that time (especially when you try to play games).

I think that the Digital driver is the right choice, but I may be wrong on that. Lets find out more information before changing more drivers.
  1. Have you tried a DVI to DVI cable? Looking at the specs for your monitor (there are a couple different sub-classes of that monitor - so I am unsure which one you have), I assume that your monitor has a DVI connection. And looking at the graphics card you have (Radeon HD 7770) that too should have atleast 1 DVI connection (if not 2). If you do not have a DVI to DVI cable, maybe you can borrow one from someone to test it out before going and buying one.
  2. Have you done any Overclocking of the graphics card? If you have, you may have improper settings. We can work that out if you have.
  3. What is the make and model of your PSU (Power Supply)? Depending on what the wattage rating is, you could be trying to draw too much wattage from a power supply and it's causing it to "lock up" the video card because that is whats drawing the most from it at that time (especially when you try to play games).
The problem persists with the DVI to DVI. I used a VGA cord before but with a DVI link that came with one of the pc parts. I have kept the over clock settings in the GPU tweaker at default. It has many different recording graphs. Ill send a picture of them if needed. The program came with an Over Clock Genie, whatever that means. I don't mess with it either. I have a 600W power supply.

Monitor won't even turn on at all on now. No matter how many times I restart it, turn it off, unplug all the power sources. Even switched the GPU to a separate slot in the motherboard. Tried the DVI in another monitor. Tried an HDMI to TV/Monitor. Let it sit for 5 hours. Still nothing. It's so exhausting. I've been waiting to finally use this PC for over a year.

If you tried a different monitor (or tv) and you are getting the same results or not getting any picture at all, you may have a faulty GPU card. Your power supply has wattage to spare, so that is not the problem. Have you tried to hook your monitor up to another computer (that you know is working) and test the monitor that way? Did you purchase the GPU card new or used? Where did you purchase the GPU card?

Back