New build: no sound asus a8n-sli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row1

Help-
I have just gotten my new comp built and running (Asus A8N-SLI see my profile for my system). But there is no sound coming out of it. When I try to play something with WinAmp, I get an error message: "Bad DirectSound Driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078."

In BIOS, the onboard card is enabled. In control panel>sounds and audio>volume it says "no audio device."

under sounds and audio>audio it says "no playback devices."
under hardware>audio codecs" it says "this device is working properly."

I uninstalled the audio codecs, then downloaded the recent ac 97 audio codecs and installed them. plus control panel says they are working.

What can I do next?

I have not flashed the bios yet on this new mb. Would that possibly work?

Make sure you have the front panel audio either connected or jumpered. You will get no sound if the FP audio block isn't one of the above. Also, I would flash the BIOS to the latest version and then download the latest chipset drivers from Asus and install them.

darn. yes, directx 9 installed.

darn. i don't think that's the prob. directx 9 is installed.

yes, front panel audio connected.

darn.
yes front panel audio connected. i spent a lot of time making sure i had mb connectors done correctly (front panels leds etc.).

I have not flashed the bios. That sounds hopeful - If I have latest drivers, BIOS may not be familiar with them.

Besides the mb info on flashing BIOS, any great suggestions for procedures or style?

I have the deluxe model and on that we are up to 6.66 chipset driver which has the nvidia sound instead of realtek. With that chipset there is a warning that you should update to the latest BIOS (1011 or above) before using the new chipset drivers.

Try this. First flash the BIOS up to the latest version using the Asus flash tool that comes on your mobo CD. Mine never finds a new BIOS on the net so I go to the site and download it manually to a floppy. Then I use the flash utility to flash the new BIOS to ROM. WIth the new BIOS on floppy I have a good, solid copy of the BIOS and no possible interruptions in the flashing process. Reboot, make sure you have enabled audio in BIOS and see if that gets you sound.

If still no sound then I'd download drivercleaner pro at drivercleaner.net (small free utility) and then use windows add/remove programs to remove the chipset driver. After it is removed run drivercleaner pro. Rreload the chipset driver and reboot. Hopefully that gets it up and running.

got sound now - thanx

thanks for help everyone-
i got the sound going (and new pci-e vid card as nopted in the mobo forum).
basically i think everything came together when i updated the chipset drivers. after that i flashed the bios. it was about the only time i was happy to hear the windows log on sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back