New build, nothing on monitor, just a black screen.

By comp12345
May 22, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello i am new 2 the forum pleased 2 meet you all

i have a problem with my comp i just bought all the new parts and when i install everything i got a black screen on my moniter nothing come up so plz help me..here my comp parts

LGA775 GA-8I945GMF
    2gigs SAMSUNG RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
    250GIGS SATA 1 HD
    ATX 400WATS PW SUPPLY
  2. N-Guy

N-Guy Newcomer, in training Posts: 153

Hello there, what's the motherboard?

Make sure everything is plugged in properly - and all the screws that's holding the motherboard down has something between it (I forget what those are called), because if not - it could short out the motherboard.
  3. comp12345

comp12345 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

umm the motherboard called LGA775 GA-8I945GMF and yes i did plug everything rite
  4. N-Guy

N-Guy Newcomer, in training Posts: 153

LOL Oops, I thought that was your CPU for a sec.

Just dled the manual and it doesn't say which ram it supports & doesn't support. I'd try another RAM stick because from my experience, SAMSUNG isn't supported by all Mobos.
  5. comp12345

ic ill try diff ram and c how it go thank you 4 helping
  6. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

Are you getting any beeps from the system when you try and turn it on? Are there any fans spinning? Any LED lights on the motherboard?
  7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

some psu's report wattage is not right
    if the vid card uses extra poewer and has a fan if yuo use any more than 3 fans plus the psu's fan high end system needs more power n oless than 500 watts
    if you have not done so start fresh make sure you reset cmos
    when boards are tested they use diff hardware and this changes cmos
    the don't always reset
    I would start with psu then the video card next the memory
    do you feel any heat from cpu heatsink
  8. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

The motherboard your using requires DDR2 memory is that what you are using? if that PSU is one that came with the case then it is probably junk as Sam allready suggested.
  9. comp12345

DON--yes i do get the beep...the fans do spin...the green light is on but its not flashing and the red one not on

SAM---i just bought the graphic card because when i first try it without the graphic card i still get the black screen so i bought the card and try c how its go but no luck

ISS---yah the ram is SAM1G/533/1284 BGA...the PW SUPLY i got is old but its still work normal tho
  10. comp12345

for the hardrive i got SATA 1 but the motherboard says SATA2 could this b the problem
  11. iss

a sata1 hard drive connected to sata2 port will work fine it just runs at the sata 1 speed. I would suggest looking at the label ont he side on your PSU and see what it is delivering on the +12 volt rail if it is not at least 18A then this is probably your problem.
  12. comp12345

i dont no where you talking about but here what it says

RED Orange Yellow Blue Purple White Gray Black
    +5v +3.3v +12v -12v +5VSB -5V Power GND
    20A 20a 10a 0.5a 2.0a 0.5a OK

LOW NOISE DESIGN
    +5V STANDY 2. 0A
    THERMAL OVERLOAD
    CUT OFF PROTECTION
    SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION
  13. DonNagual

Looks like iss is offline now, so let me step in.

Assuming I am reading your post above correctly, you're going to need a new power supply. That one is only putting out 10amps on the 12v rail. If so, that is one cheap PSU. Not enough power for a 6600GT graphics card.

Even if this isn't the cause of your problems you really need a new psu. That one has no business being in a system with a powerful graphics card.

14. iss

Don is right, you need a new PSU. the first P4 system I ever built I had the same problem you are having. checked the PSU and found that the PSU was only putting out 10A on the +12V rail. I replaced the PSU with one that put out 18A and it booted right up.
  15. comp12345

what about i use the motherboard graphic card not the 6600GT will my psu have enough power

if i do need a neew psu which i should get please give suggestion
  16. DonNagual

17. nork

nork TechSpot Maniac Posts: 631

There is no doubt that you need a better ps. But dont be fooled by the cheap junky power supplies boasting things like 800 watts and such at a very low price, they twist the facts (lie) about the ps. Go with a brand name but the price doesnt have to be that high either. Go to directron.com or newegg.com, personallly i stay away from tigerdirect.com (dont trust them and their shipping is too high).
    Here is some further info on ps. The techrepublic url shows a tutorial on how to test your ps lines (rails):

Here are lists of good and bad power supplies:
    list of some good and some bad power supplies:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=142753

Another list:
    http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=98650
    http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=131195

troubleshoot power supply with multimeter:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10...g=feed&subj=tr#

This shows you the various atx versions:
    atx format:
    http://www.formfactors.org/
  18. iss

MAYBE but I wouldnt bet on it. your P4 chips sucks up about 9A all by itself so that doesnt leave much for all the other stuff on the 12V rail. even if it does power up your likely to have all kinds of problems glitches and or crashes becasue there is simply not enough power. as far as PSU's go I would go with Antec a True power 430 is not that expensive and should met your needs. and Antec is one of the best PSU's next to PC Power & Cooling PSU's which are very expensive PSU's.
  19. comp12345

ok thanx 4 yours help guys ill get a new ps and c how its go

btw i have a problem with my old cpu i dont y but its always turn off like when it get pass welcome screen then it turn off but if leave it and do anythin 4 1-2min then its alrite can some1 tell me the problem
  20. nork

What you can do is go to newegg.com, look for power supplies, then, in the search, go for your price range and you will get a list of power supplies.
    Go for Antec, thermaltake, enermax, forton, the ones on the list of good power supplies, avoid all or most of the other names, like powmax and the other names on the list, or names you dont know.
    Here is a list i made for someone else using the $25 to $50 search, but with your video card i would suggest you go at least 400 watts on a good name brand.

Heres a thermaltake for $25
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817153023
    The total wattage is not the only thing to look at, by the way. But this unit is 430 watts.
    On this page you will find the thermaltake as noted above, plus another one for $38.99.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817153023

on the same page you find a coolermaster for $33.99

page 2 gives your a fortron for $36.99 and a sparkle for $29.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&SubCategory=58

I did this quickly so you have to check the wattage. But i can tell you that the Enermax i have is 330 watts and i run a p4 2.4, 2 ide h drives, a dvd, dvd burner, about 8 usb external drives and i have had them all up and running at one time, a 32 mb ati vid card, 3 fans, one large fan, on and on.
    So you dont need so much wattage as you do brand name in a power supply, in my opinion. But you still want to be in the 400 watt range with that vid card you have.
  21. nork

comp12345, for your other pc, we really need to have all the specs on it to make a diagnosis.
    Plus info on the last software or hardware you added, how long ago it was, any system changes you made before the problem came up, or any or changes you made before the problem came up. Was the pc ok and then the problem came up or was it always there, info like that is needed.

Could be ram going bad but its only a guess, need info as above.
    But you can google and download memtest86 and test your ram with that, but only one stick at a time or it wont work.
  22. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

23. comp12345

well 4 the other pc i had this pc 4 long time just b4 the problem i left the comp on for 7 days afta that i got the problem but its still work fine but its always turn off when its pass the welcome screen sometimes its dosent tho
  24. nork

You didnt give the specs.
    Another thing you can do is go into my computer\properties\advanced startup & recovery. There is a setting called "automatically restart". Uncheck that setting and click out and reboot.
    On bootup you may get an error message. Write it down exactly as it is and write it here so we can help you out.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.