By josbd
Jul 1, 2006
  1. System comprises:

Gigabyte K8VT800
    Sempron 3100
    1 gig RAM
    250 Seagate
    etc

ok, briefly, built system, went to fire it up, it powers up throughout, but nothing. It does not boot, and there are no beep sounds.

I put in a pc analyzer card, which, with nothing external plugged in shows 00 (award bios), but when I plug in anything such as mouse, keyboard, screen etc shows 04, which translates as "Test Memory Refresh Toggle". I have tried removing the graphics card, resetting the bios, removing batt etc.

Can anyone please shed any light on this please?

Many thanks chaps!

2. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

possible causes:

1. motherboard short circuit -->make sure that you used standoffs and that myou only used them where there is a corresponding mounting hole on the mobo. if the mounting hole doesn't have a metal ring around it, either don't use it or use a plastic standoff instead.

2. bad or insufficient power supply unit -->what brand and model is your PSU? how many amps can it provide on the +12v rail? Cheap/generic PSUs often cannot provide stable voltages or enough power (total wattage doesn't matter, on modern systems the +12v amperage is the major factor) also, make sure that you have both the 20/24 pin ATX power connector and the 4 pin 12v ATX power connector plugged into the mobo

3. damaged, incompatible, or improperly installed RAM -->remove and re-seat with only 1 RAM stick, test each stick separate and test in each slot

3. damaged, incompatible, or improperly installed video card -->remove and re-seat video card. also you did not list your video card in your specs, what do you have?

4. damaged or defective motherboard -->unlikely cause, assume only if above components proper working order and compatibility have been verified

5. damaged or defective CPU -->unlikely cause, assume only if above components proper working order and compatibility have been verified

3. josbd

josbd TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 196

Sorry, I should have given you full details:

GeForce XFX5500
    Casecom 500watt psu

ok, shall check out each suggestion, and very many thanks indeed!

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

5. josbd

josbd TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 196

Thanks Tedster.

Have decided that the mobo is DOA, and am returning it to ebuyer.

Thanks very much indeed for the help and advice. I really do appreciate it.

6. vpu3

vpu3 TS Rookie

yeah make sure u get no shorts and make sure ur standoff are levels. DONT DO LIKE I DID TAKE UR TIME.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.