New build won't boot- please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
(please see profile for pc details)
Hi everyone, I built (well, tried to) my first pc yesterday. Plugged every thing in, pressed the power button and... all the fans did about a half turn then nothing. I took the mobo out of the case and tried again but same problem. I've tried a different psu- same again. Tested the psu, that's working fine. This is the forst amd 64 system I've messed about with. I'm hoping there's something glaringly obvious that I've missed as the power is obviously fine and getting through the mobo ok. I did try resetting the jumper switch but this didn't seem to have any effect. I've been ever so careful with handling all the componants to prevent static charges too. :confused:

Don't know if it helps you to know this. But after that quarter turn on the fans nothing else happens if I press the power button again, but if I remove the power cable and reinsert it, it will do the same again. Also, I had the usb wires plugged into the mobo and after a while they seem to get hot- short circuit somewhere?

Thanks for any help- don't really want to admit defeat and send stuff back without thoroughly checking everything.

First off, don't give up yet. These little problems happen to every builder and are the only way one learns about PC's. Dumb question next but i'm answered with "No, what's a standoff?" more often than you'd believe so: Did you install standoffs before installing the motherboard?

:) Don't worry- I know what a stand off is. I checked it all before I put the mobo in and made sure the nine posts lined up with the holes and weren't touching any parts they shouldn't. Good guess though :D

Sorry BD, not trying to be an ***, just a lot of people forget the standoffs. LOL. What brand name PSU are you using and what are its specs (watts amps on 12 volt rail)? Do you have both the 20 pin power connector and the 4 pin(square) "P4" power connector hooked to the board? Also, power to the Video card if needed and RAM in the correct slot(s). Any beeps from the mobo?

Make sure all the front panel connections are on the right pinsnd that the CMOS battery is fully installed and the jumper is on pins 1&2 not 2&3. ALso, CPU fan is connected to 3 pin connector and is running.

Edit: You have an LED readout with POST failure codes! What does it say?

No problem Merc14. Ok, the psu is a Winpower ATX 450. It came with the case- brand new, bought it last week. Tested the psu on it's own and it works fine. Tried the psu from my current pc in it and that does the same thing.

The Winpower specs are (ok just got this from the side of the psu so not sure which bits are useful):
Input
115 VAC
10A max
60hz
230 VAC
5A max
50hz

Output
+12v 20A max
+5v 40A max

+3.3v 28A max
-5v 0.5A max
-12v 0.8A max

+5V/SB 2.0A

Both the 20 pin and 4 pin power connectors connected
Front panel connectors correct (power, hdd led etc.) Not connected front usb-see first post.
I only have one stick of ram and that's in the first slot. (has been tried in the other three slots too)
No video card connected at the mo(- need it for this machine!) but was for tests
No beeps from mobo and the quick flash of power to the fans/lights in the case isn't long enough for a display on the led readout unfortunatly.
Have tried cmos jumper in both positions just in case I had it wrong- still no joy.
Cmos battery came installed but have removed and reinserted it just to check there was no tape stopping the connection (for transport purposes etc)
cpu fan definately connected- it's one of the fans that does that quick blip of a spin when I try to power the machine up.

See, to me I've been pretty thorough- thought some of that lot would have found the problem. Hate to say it but still think it's the mobo that I'll have to send back :(

BD-
I'd have to agree with you. You've pretty much eliminated all the things that would cause a failure of this type. Plus, the screwy USB activity early on would back up your prognosis that the mobo has failed. RMA the thing and save yourself from further frustration.

Thanks for your help Merc14. I emailed the company I bought the mobo, memory and cpu bundle but I probably won't get a reply until tomorrow (monday). Just thought it best to try to cover all my bases before they ask the same questions. If I hear from them tomorrow I'll respond here. RMA looking extremly imminant though!

Ok I've had a reply:

Dear sir,

sounds like you've done everything you can. Looks like a faulty mobo or cpu. Please davise which item you want to return and we'll set up the rma.

Best regards,
Komplett

What do you reckon- send just the mobo or the mobo and cpu back? I still think it's the mobo so am loath to repackege everything!

BD-
If you bought them as a package, I'd return them as a package. Plus, when it comes down to it you are still guessing it is the mobo. 99% sure but still a guess and if you're wrong and it is the CPU you're looking at another RMA waiting period. Now, if you sent back the mobo and kept the CPU and they sent back a new mobo and new CPU then you may have a reason to hang on to it! LOL. Seriously though, I'd send everything back just to avoid any further delays.

Regardless of the above, good job on your first build. You had a problem and troubleshot it thoroughly enough to determine what was causing it in a very short time. A lot of people spend days and even weeks going nuts and blaming everyone and everything, getting incredibly angry, without really getting anywhere. You figured it out and solved the problem with minimal drama. Well done. (IMHO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back