New Built Comp Freezing - ATI RADEON 9500 PRO to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built a computer a little while ago and since day 1 I've been getting some bad freezing problems. I have a suspicion that it may be the video card - which is an ATI RADEON 9500 PRO. Looking at the display adapters section in the device manager I found that two drivers of the same kind were installed, one of them labeled "secondary". My theory is that the two drivers are conflicting with each other. I disabled the drivers so I'm not using the card at all anymore, and while I ran into this problem all the time before, not using the drivers seems to stop the freezing. Of course this isn't practical because I can't play any games or do anything video intensive. But that's where I am right now and I'm trying to find a way to use the drivers and stop the freezing.

So what's causing the problem here and how do I finally solve it???

Basic specs:
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
Sound Card: Audigy 2
MotherBoard: ASUS A7V600-X
RAM: Apacer PC2700 512MB

I'd greatly appreciate any help with this. :)

That's normal. The R9500 has dual RAMDACS (for dual displays) so, the "secondary" that you see is normal. Every Radeon owner will see this.

That being said, it doesn't mean the vid card isn't the cause of your problems...

I would unistall and re-install the drivers, of course.... You might want to do the same for the sound card drivers as well....

Ok that makes sense. But I still think the vid card may be the problem because the problem stops when I disable the drivers... any more thoughts?

If the problem stops when you disable the existing drivers ,it would imply that the Version of drivers conflicts on your machine.
Go to ATI web and download a new version ,uninstall the old drivers cleanly reboot and install the newer ones.(Check their site for clean uninstalls.)
Keep in mind that video drivers can be fisnickity.
I have had to install older versions (They will be at the site) to have success, and then wait for a newer release to update.(you won't wait long)

djLager said:
But I still think the vid card may be the problem because the problem stops when I disable the drivers... any more thoughts?

Uninstall your vid drivers, then install the latest from ATI's web-site...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back