TechSpot

New but willing to learn

By emmaj23
Jun 4, 2005
  1. Hello!
    I'm new to the computing world and quite unexperienced.
    I have what seems to me a big problem with my computer and hope that some of you more experienced people might be able to help me!
    I have what seems to be a virus on my PC but when i do an online scan, no viruses are identified. However when i run different programs, abou twenty or so windows open up (with the name c:/windows/system32/cmd.exe) and sometimes a message in spanish pops up threatening to turn of my PC, which it eventually does. I've tried running spybot and hyjackthis but each time i try, this "virus" shows up again!
    Ad-aware detects 6 new objects (c:/windows/system32/cmd.exe) but the scan never ends and so i can't delete them!
    What to do?
    I would really appreciate all suggestions!
    Thank you

2. Bobcat1132

Bobcat1132 TS Rookie Posts: 79

what virus protection are you using

3. emmaj23

emmaj23 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm using Norton anti-virus. But since i've had this virus, i can no longer open norton.
    Other than that I have ad-aware and sygate firewall. I'd really appreciate any of your suggestions!

4. Bobcat1132

ditch norton and if you can download avg from the internet as it is free and one of the best anti virus programs out there right now

5. emmaj23

i have also used an online anti virus : secuser

6. Bobcat1132

you can always try to save your files you want to keep and reformat the hdd

7. emmaj23

i have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about! the hdd? how do i do this?

8. emmaj23

i tried avg but the problem is that i cant download anything. Each time i try, these windows keep popping up again (c:/windows/system32/cmd.exe) Do you konw what this means?

9. Bobcat1132

hdd stand for the hard drive and what you do is if you have a windows cd stick it in and then you are going to have to tell your computer to boot from the cd which means that you read the cd-rom drive before reading the hard drive when you boot up which means you wont go into windows.

10. emmaj23

ok thanks for the info but what will this do? I dont really understand I must admit

11. Bobcat1132

reformatting the hdd sucks because you loose everything but in loosing everything you also loose your viruses. it wipes the hard drive completely clean for you

12. emmaj23

ok so i guess i should choose that option as a last resort then! any ideas of what i can do before having to do that?

13. Bobcat1132

can you burn cd's because if you can i would suggest backing up all of your info on those so if you ever have to reformat you still have them. if you dont have access to antivirus programs and all the ones you have used are saying you are fine and you do have a virus you are up a creek without a paddle. i dont know for sure that it is a virus but it sounds like one and if that is the case the only way you could get rid of it take it to someone who fixes computers or reinstall windows sorry

14. emmaj23

ok thanks very much for your help!

15. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

Bobcat...to backup a 80GB that would take 114 disks...assuming you could scrunch 700MB on each. I dont think that would be very practical. That message your getting doesnt sound like a virus at all, it is a fiel used in command prompt, sorry to say i have no idea why that would come up. I would not reformat yet. What OS are you using? Have you made any changes to your system lately? And this is to see if a virus/malware/whatever is a possibilty, do you download unsafe stuff?

Sean

16. Bobcat1132

just back up what you want or cant get back not everything on the hdd and that can be done also by sticking in another hdd and copying it over that way.

17. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello emmaj23 and welcome to Techspot.

Can you boot into safe mode? You usually do this by tapping either, the delete key or, the F2 key while your computer is booting up. Then select safe mode with networking.

Update all your virus programmes including adaware and spybot, and run them while still in safe mode.

You can get the Spybot programme HERE

Also we really need to know what version of Windows you are using.

And, finally you should also go HERE and read my post. This is so we know what`s inside your computer.

Once you have done that, please post back so that we can help you further.

18. emmaj23

Hi!
    Yes i've already tried doing all this in safe mode but strangly the virus (or whatever it is) shows up again.
    I'm using windows XP.

19. howard_hopkinso

Ok then not to worry.

Go HERE and follow the instructions carefully, especially about updating, and Hijackthis placement. Print them out if you can.

Once you have done that, go HERE for instructions on how to post your Hijackthis log.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

20. emmaj23

Hi howard! Your link doesn't work i'm afraid

21. howard_hopkinso

Sorry about that. It does now.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.