New Card, Fuzzy Display

By JesseM
Feb 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My friend just bought a GeForce 8500 GT 512mb card and the result was a blurry screen. He has a Viewsonic 22" widescreen monitor. Any ideas?
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

Do you have the monitor set to display the native resolution? Are the latest drivers installed?
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,434   +281

Using VGA or DVI? VGA on that size monitor will not look near as sharp as DVI.
  4. JesseM

JesseM TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 258

I believe he has the monitor set to the native res (1680x1050) and I know he has the latest drivers. I believe he is using VGA (although I'm not sure), but it seems that his problem is worse than a little less sharp display.

I have the exact same computer and monitor as my friend, but I have a 7600 GT and it works fine on my computer. He seems to think the problem is a flaw in his motherboard, is this a concern?
  5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

As noted by SNGX1275, the display could potentially be fuzzy because he isn't using DVI. Try that before having concern about anything being broken.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,434   +281

Tell him to switch to DVI, there is no good reason to use VGA at all with that card and monitor. If the problem is still there then we can look at other possibilities. Although I don't think the motherboard has anything to do with this.
  7. JesseM

JesseM TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 258

Thanks a bunch, DVI cable fixed it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.