New Card Not Detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the story.

I got a new Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT to replace my old Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE.

First of all, I uninstalled the drivers to my old card then shut everything off etc, then put in the new card. When I put in the new card, it powers up and all like it's supposed to, fan spinning and all. But when I plugged my monitor into the card, I got a blank black screen with "No Input Signal".

I try over and over installing new drivers to everything on my board etc, but it still isn't working. Now the slot won't even read my old graphics card. The cards still power on (the fan will spin) but it's like it just isn't sending any input signal.

My computer doesn't seem to recognize the card is there even though it powers it on. When I go to the device manager, only my onboard video card is listed. Neither my new nor my old card will get detected. My BIOS is set to use the PCI-E slot first but I guess since it doesn't know anything is there, it's not using it.

Any help would be so great, I've been trying to figure this out all day.

Installing drivers will do nothing if your board/windows isnt picking it up.

I had this problem a while back, I had to re plug it in a few times...it could also be your cable thats dodgy considering it isnt picking your old one up now either, how old is the board exactly...is it possible that the slot is faulty?

As Kozex says it seems as though something is wrong with your PCI-E slot. Now, I'm presuming that you get display from your monitor when plugging it directly to the mobo. What motherboard do you have?

Yes it works when I plug it directly into the mobo slot, and it runs off my onboard card.

I'm honestly not sure what mobo I have, it's whatever comes with the HP Pavillion m7580n. I'm beginning to think that I just need a new mobo and the PCI-E slot got screwed somehow, I'm just hoping for an alternative solution.

EDIT: Also, I've had the computer (and same mobo) for about 2 and a half years now.

The 9800GT has an external power connector on the end doesn't it? I believe it is a 6 pin connector. It needs to be plugged into the power supply before the card will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back